Reload this Page >

Day trip to Stonehenge?

Search

Day trip to Stonehenge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Martha

Day trip to Stonehenge?

Any ideas as to the best operator for a day trip to Stonehenge? I have heard mention of a Mad Max company but don't know the web site. I will be traveling with a 12 year old. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:02 AM
s.fowler

We took the Evan Evans trip to Stonehenge and Bath. Aside from not enough time in Bath and the usual annoyances of group travel it was fine. If you are asking about a trip to ONLY Stonehenge I hope someone else will speakup. In my experience Stonehenge isn't worth much more than the time you get with Evan Evans. Their website is here: http://www.evanevans.co.uk/stonehenge.htm

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:12 AM
Marilyn Ham

We took the Evan Evans tour also for one day from London, which we booked on the internet. We went to Stonehenge and Bath. It was somewhat rushed, but I guess with the distances and such that is to be expected. Keep in mind that the Victoria Couch Station is different than the Victoria Station--because we didn't know at the time and had to rush to make it. I thought going to Stonehenge was worth it. It was something my niece wanted to see, but I was surprised coming upon it on that hill in the fields. Marilyn

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Lidija

Did the trip in 92 with Frames Rickard (?). I know they are still around we did Salisbury, Bath and Stonehenge. <BR> <BR>Going again in May and am trying to figure out how to do it on my own and the cost and am stuck, can't really find any real information. Did a search on this board but didn't come up with too much? Any thoughts?

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:30 AM
s.fowler

There have been several long threads on this topic. I'll see if I can find them for you.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Bill I

You can also do this on your own, as we & many other people have done. You can take the train to Salisbury & you can take a bus from right outside the train station(buy tickets inside the train station)& goes to Stonehenge. You can take as long as you like at Stonehenge. The bus runs at regular intervals, all day long, so you can catch one back to the station at your leisure. Also if you have time, Salisbury Cathedral is only about a 10 minute walk from the station, if you want to visit that. Also, on the way back from Stonehenge to the station, the bus will make a stop(if requested) at Old Sarum (which is the original site of Salisbury-New Sarum). You can walk up the hill & see the ruins & get a good view overlooking Salisbury.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Lidija

thank you so much!!!! <BR>I tried searching for Bath once and I swear I pulled up every thread that had any mention of bathroom in it.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 01:10 AM
Steve

Hello Martha, <BR> <BR>Mad Max is one of the companies which do a Stonehenge tour from Bath. Travel is by minibus. They don't have a website. Price: about 15 pounds.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:43 AM
elaine

fyi <BR>here are some websites on Stonehenge, <BR>Salisbury, and Old Sarum <BR>www.britannia.com/history/h7.html <BR>www.stonehenge-avebury.net/ <BR>www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/pages/ <BR>index.shtml <BR>www.salisbury.gov.uk/tourism/ <BR>www.english-heritage.org.uk/days-out/ <BR>places/ExpandedSearchResults.asp?Id=427 <BR>http://freespace.virgin.net/philip.dunn/OldSarum.htm <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Marsha

I agree that you may want to try this day trip on your own. My husband and I went independently by train and bus to Avebury, instead of Stonehenge. (I personally think Avebury is more interesting because you can get right up to the stones.) By taking the local bus to Stonehenge or Avebury, you will pass through lots of quaint little towns and see lots of local getting on and off. And by all means, visit Salisbury cathedral. It is exciting to see one of the original copies of the Magna Carta!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 04:56 PM
Shirley

To those who have made this trip on their own - I am trying to do this and would like to take the train to Bath and a bus directly to Stonehenge to allow more time in Bath. I have received a nice package from the Wilts & Dorset Bus Company with schedules and routes, but is seems that you must go into Salisbury, then to Stonehenge. <BR>Does anyone know of a way to go directly from Bath to Stonehenge?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Martha: It's been a whle since I went to Stonehenge but I did it on a BritRail tour which left from Paddington Station. You might want to check with them as to whether or not they still do it. Good trip. Joan

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 07:33 PM
aphra

I feel as though I'm giving away my best secret here, but what the heck. There's a company called Astral Travels (www.astraltravels.co.uk) that says it has rights to a limited number of Stonehenge tours that take you "beyond the fences & after the crowds have gone home." Apparently they've arranged with the authorities to bring people right into the circle at sunset. Looks awfully new-agey, but it still bugs me that the tours don't coincide with my own visit in late March. If you go, let us know how it was!

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:07 AM
Steve

Hello Shirley, <BR> <BR>To get to Stonehenge from Bath by bus, I'm pretty sure you have to go to Salisbury, and change bus there. This is quite a long bus ride, - Bath-Salisbury = about 2 hours; Salisbury-Stonehenge = 20-30 minutes. If you do this, a 'Wiltshire Day Rover' ticket should cover both rides (- check this at Bath). If so, it's your cheapest option. <BR> <BR>Alternatives are: <BR>Train to Salisbury, then bus; or <BR>One of the minibus tours from Bath. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Charlene

We did The Evan Evans tour to Stonehenge/Avebury/Old Sarum last year with our 11 and 13 year old. We were traveling independently but decided to save time and let someone else do the driving. We had a wonderful guide who was also very helpful in getting us on our way after the tour was over. Riding on the tour bus allowed us to nap so we were refreshed even after a long day of sightseeing!

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Shirley

Steve, Thanks for the tip on the mini bus tours from Bath. I will check that out and see if we can save some time on the road. These conversations are great!