Search

Day Trip to Senlis...Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2014, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip to Senlis...Suggestions?

Hi all...

Our trip to Paris is fast approaching, and we are considering a day-trip to Senlis (and possibly Chantilly if you-all think it's worth it). Is this a worthwhile thing to do? We've been to Versailles, Chartres and Giverny, so this is something different we'd like to do on this trip.

Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated. I've looked at the Senlis website and downloaded their brochure. Looks like they have some self-guided walks -- and we love to walk around cities we visit. Love history and art, too. We're not foodies, but decent restaurant recommendations are welcome.

The transportation looks pretty straightforward, but it would be great to know any peculiarities/details involved.

Thanks.

SS
Old May 4th, 2014, 08:43 AM

I am quite often in Chantilly and Senlis. It looks like you've done some good initial research. Many people never bother to look at a tourist office website so it's nice to see you've taken that initiative.

I think both places are certainly worth a visit. I'm not sure what I can specifically help you with but if you haven't found the info for bus transport from Chantilly to Senlis I can give you a few tips. When you arrive in Chantilly and exit the train station walk to your left and that is where the bus stop is. There are several depots and each has a sign on it showing the destination of that bus so just look for the one with the Senlis sign. It's bus #15. To get bus schedule info use http://www.oise-mobilite.fr/index.asp. It will show schedules, maps of the routes and locations of the stops the bus makes.

Senlis is a beautiful little town. You may have already downloaded it but if you stop at the tourist office (right across from the front of the cathedral) they'll have maps outlining the tourist trail through town and other info. Just make note that the tourist office is usually closed for an hour around lunch time. Check their website for hours.

I've never eaten at a restaurant in Senlis but there are loads of choices. There is a very nice looking place right across from the cathedral called Le Scaramouche. If you want something a bit gastronomic try Hostellerie de la Porte Bellon. Most of the restaurants are generally within a few minutes walking distance clustered around the cathedral. You'll have no problem finding them.

I don't know what else I can help you with but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I can probably assist you.
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

FrenchMT...

Thanks for the info.

I can see that I need to take the train to Chantilly-Gouvieux (then bus). I have downloaded the Paris-Creil schedule from the SNCF site and checked out the fares.

It appears (from the SNCF Suburban map) that RER D goes that far. But it also looks like it is out of the regular Ile de France tariff zone. (The schedule describes the train as TER Transport Express Régional, not RER).

Does that mean I cannot buy a ticket at a regular Paris Metro station...and I'll have to buy it at a train station?

Thanks.
SS
Old May 4th, 2014, 10:46 AM

Correct. Although the RER D does go to Chantilly (infrequently) it is outside zone 5 so you need to buy your ticket at the train station or an SNCF boutique.
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Actually, looking at the schedule, it seems the regular trains (TER Transport Express Régional) are faster than the RER (listed as TN Transilien?).

SS
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:41 AM

Yes, it only takes 23 minutes to get to Chantilly from Gare du Nord on the TER trains. Now that I think about it, since the RER goes to Chantilly then it is logic
Old May 4th, 2014, 11:49 AM

Darn. Hit the submit button by accident. As I was saying:

Now that I think about it, since the RER goes to Chantilly then it is logical that you could buy that ticket from the machines in RER and métro stations. I'm not sure but I would assume this ticket would also be valid on the TER trains, though you couldn't make a transfer from the RER/métro to the TER train. Whatever ticket you buy be sure to validate it before boarding the trains. For the regular TER tickets stick it in the yellow composting machine. If you should buy the ticket from a machine in a métro/RER station it would be the same size and shape as RER/métro tickets and those get validated in a different type of machine that I believe will say Île-de-France.
Old May 4th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm...I see that there could be a problem, since we'll start our trip at Chatalet-Les Halles (RER D) or even H. de Ville (line 1).

Oh well...if we have to burn a t+ ticket to get to Nord, so be it.

SS
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Hi, ssander. I'm leaving for Paris in a couple of days, and am also thinking about Chantilly and Senlis.
I definitely want to go to Chantilly, and since it's not far, maybe Senlis afterwards. I have a great little book, "An Hour From Paris" by Annabel Simms, and her writeup on Senlis is very good, with a walking route to follow, etc.I also had some nice help from FrenchMystique, who is SO helpful on this forum.

I will be in Paris for two weeks, and like you, have been on many of the "obligatory" day trips' so this time want to see some off-the-beaten-track things. I'm planning to go to Provins, and have gotten some great help on here. Another book with some great ideas is "Paris To the Past" by Ina Caro, although she doesn't mention Senlis. But this is a great book for Paris lovers with lots of ideas for train trips not too far from Paris.
Old May 4th, 2014, 08:39 PM

I have visited both. I have looked at the bus and the Chantilly event schedule, and I decided to visit Senlis first. If you are interested in seeing shows at Chantilly, be sure to synch your visit properly. I have bought Paris-Senlis as one trip from a SNCF ticket window. It actually came with the train ticket and a bus ticket. I just showed the "bus ticket" in train ticket format to the driver on the bus from Chantilly-Gouvieux to Senlis. It was not essential to buy bus ticket this way, however.
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Sue4...

What a coincidence...I just got <i>Paris to the Past</i> from my library a couple of days ago. Haven't really started reading it yet, but it looks great.

And just now, I ordered <i>An Hour From Paris</i> for 2-day delivery...looking forward to its arrival.

SS
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Greg...thanks...there's a SNCF store a couple of blocks from our hotel, so I'll be able to buy the combined ticket the day before.

SS
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:00 PM

SS, those two books are fun to read. It's hard to decide which day trips to take, but I know I want to keep going back. However, I'm fast getting to the age where everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when
I tell them I'm going to France - alone- and I love it that way!
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Quick questions...my totally basic French would have me pronounce it:

sohn-lee (like in Robert E. <strong>Lee</strong

but I read in one place (can't remember where), it's pronounced:

sohn-lees (like a renter's <strong>lease</strong

...anyone know for certain?

SS
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:13 AM

It's the second one. You pronounce the "S" in Senlis.
Old Apr 9th, 2016, 03:01 PM

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but would it be difficult to get a taxi at CDG that would take us to Senlis? (I realize it could be pricey.)
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 01:09 AM

I doubt it would be difficult, but it would be a lot cheaper to take the Picardie-Roissy Bus #31
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 07:41 AM

Do you know where the bus schedule is posted? I'm having trouble finding it, though I am sure it's somewhere. I did read that some people had the experience that the bus didn't follow its schedule.
Old Apr 10th, 2016, 07:49 AM

http://www.senlis-tourisme.fr/Acces-...aisons-par-bus

Scroll down to Horaires de la Navette Picardie Roissy