? Day Trip's from Nice

Search

? Day Trip's from Nice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? Day Trip's from Nice

Where can I go from Nice? For the day or the weekend. Looking for as much as possible. I will be in Nice for 6 weeks.
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 11:44 AM

For a day trip I like to go to Saint Paul de Vence, Eze village, or Antibes. A little further is Saint Raphael. And of course Monte Carlo is just a few minutes away. On Sunday I usually take the train or bus to Villefranche. It is beautiful there and there is a very small flea market. Cruise ships also dock there on Sunday. Also I have taken the Train des Merveilles to Tende-beautiful views.

For a weekend you could take the train to Santa Margherita Ligure and Camogli. Menton is closer, but I prefer going on to SML.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. As this will be my first trip there, what in particular can I see there? Art? Architecture? The coast? How far is Milan and would a day trip be possible?
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:24 PM

You can see plenty of art and architecture in Nice (a number of museums, including Chagall and Matisse); Antibes (Picasso); St-Paul-de-Vence (Fondation Maeght just up the road); and old Mougins, which is known for its art galleries. The architecture in general is French/Italian, especially in Vieux Nice--that area is worth a week-end on its own.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Milan is about 5 hours by train. So a day trip is out, but you could do a weekend.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Do you have my 27 page Cote d'Azur & Provence itinerary? It has a dozen or so day tips around Nice. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM

In addition to what's been mentioned: Vallauris (Picasso chapel), Vence (Matisse chapel), Grasse, Cannes, Renior house (near Antibes, I think), Gourdon...
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM

I left out the Musée des Beaux Arts in Nice and the modern-art museum, along with a number of others. Best to get a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to the Côte d'Azur, with good coverage of the region.

The Renoir house is in Haut-de-Cagnes.

If you decide to visit the Matisse Chapelle de la Roseraie in Vence, be sure to call first to find out opening days and times! Those listed in guidebooks and such don't include the additional religious holidays when the chapel is closed. We tried three times before we managed to visit the chapel.

Vallauris has the Picasso Guernica wall painting, which is amazing. Next door is an excellent ceramics museum, with some of Picasso's work but much more.

In Biot is the international glass museum sponsored by Corning--it's a small treasure of beautiful rotating exhibits. Just across the way you can watch the local glassblowers at work and see another museum, plus works for sale.

Grasse has the International Museum of Perfume, with a terrific collection of bottles and other containers from ancient times to modern. There's also a fine folk museum: some interesting and beautiful furniture, among a large collection of things Provençal.

You can get to Grasse via the train, but our local friends cautioned us that connections aren't always good because only certain drivers are certified for the trarunning from Cannes to Grasse.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 07:23 AM

I second Antibes and the Picasso museum! Beautiful town.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 09:24 AM

I second Antibes and I didn't even make it to the Picasso museum! Just love the town -- small town feel, "old" town, beach, shopping, eating, great market, good vibe.