Day Trip Help in Tuscany!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2022, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide between several different options for day trips into Tuscany, out of Florence. We will NOT be renting a car, so will be relying solely on bus/train transportation. Here are the ones I've come up with after considering a number of places: Greve/Montefioralle/Panzano or San Gimignano/Siena/Monteriggioni or Montepulciano/Pienza. I have to eliminate one of these (unless I eliminate Pisa/Lucca, which I currently have down as a definite, but am open to feedback on whether it should be on my 'definite' list...). This is our first trip to Italy, and one of the things I have always envisioned in regards to visiting Italy, is exploring the Tuscan countryside. We are not big on museums or artwork, although we do appreciate beautiful architecture and interesting history. We are not wine drinkers, so visiting wineries would not be of interest to us. We mostly just want to visit quaint, authentic towns/villages and to wander around just enjoying the scenery. I would love to get feedback from folks who have been to some of these places so I can try to make a more informed decision. Thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 12:02 PM

Lots of good day trips out of Florence.
My choice for first timers would be the San Gimignano/Siena option. Great way to see a hilltown and historic Sienna (with a good cathedral as well).
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 12:42 PM

When is the trip? How many people? Children? Seniors?
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sassafrass,
Just 2 of us, going in April 2023. We are 60 and 67, but active and in good shape.
Thanks!
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alandavid! I know I have read a lot of good things about both of those places!
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 02:51 PM

Pienza is one of my favorite very small towns. Not as hectic as some of the others you mentioned. Nice shops and good restaurants and you can see everything in a short visit,
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rfbk50, I appreciate the input!
Old Nov 6th, 2022, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Montepulciano/Pienza are too far from Florence for a day trip. Even if you had a car or hired a driver, it would involve about 4 hours on the road, mostly on the fairly boring autostrada. If you want to stick to public transportation, you can look into bus and train timetables and try to work out a plan, but I think you'll find it either impossible or unappealing. There are many day trip options from Florence that are easier and leave you more time to actually explore the towns.

There's a reason why the Siena/SanG combo is popular. It's relatively easy by bus, or you can join a guided tour that includes transportation and perhaps a walking tour of Siena. Viator is one company that offers a day tour.

You can also look into the transportation logistics to reach Greve/Montefioralle/Panzano but may find it difficult to manage all three, even though Montefioralle and Panzano are close to each other.

You don't mention what is included in the rest of your itinerary.... Consider visiting Arezzo on its antiques market day. Very interesting and entertaining. Some trains take just one hour. We've also enjoyed Montecatini Terme for both its Belle Epoque spa town (beautiful architecture) and the historic village reached by funicular. About 50 minutes from Florence. Finally, Pistoia... sometimes called Little Florence for its architecture and art... about 40 minutes from Florence.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 06:27 AM

Lucca is a must in my opinion in visiting Tuscany. Lots to see and do, incredible foods, and picturesque walks along the city walls. Pisa is very close to Lucca and apart from admiring the tower you can leave the tourist crowds behind you and enjoy some beautiful walks along the Arno River area with quaint little squares and churches. However you do mention is “exploring the countryside”. I think most will agree to appreciate the beauty of the Tuscan countryside you will need a car. Enjoy.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't drop Lucca and Pisa, do consider some of the other towns along the train route from Florence, little gems and fewer international tourists

Siena would take a day (Sienna is a girl's name)
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 07:39 AM
mjs

I too think that Pienza and the surrounding area is too far for a day trip by public transportation. It takes almost 2 hours to drive from
Florence and I am sure public transportation will take longer. Also both Pienza and Montepuciano take about an hour or two to explore as they are small towns since you are not interested in wine. I also agree that to see the countryside that you need a car or a tour bus. Siena is an easy bus ride away from Florence and lots to do for a day.
Pisa an easy train ride. Luca and San G also pretty close and there are a lot of bus tours with that itinerary.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 01:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Could you consider staying in one of the Tuscan towns such as Siena and exploring from there instead of using Florence as a base? Florence certainly deserves it’s own amount of time but you will spend so much time coming and going with the way you are planning this trip.
Old Nov 7th, 2022, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input, it is very helpful! HappyTrvlr, I had thought about doing that, but with our limited time for Florence and the Tuscan countryside, I didn't want to spend so much time checking in and out of hotels and lugging our things from place to place. If we had more time just in Tuscany, I would definitely go that route though. Our itinerary right now is this: Arrive in Rome on April 15, spend 4 nights there. The first day won't be good for much, and we want to give a day each (although I know we will have plenty of 'left over' time on both days) to the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill and the Vatican City. That will leave us one 'extra' day, and I am contemplating a day trip somewhere on that day. On the 19th we will catch an early train for Florence so that we will get almost a full day of whatever we choose for that day. We will stay in Florence for 5 nights, so in addition to our day of arrival, we will have 4 full days (for day trips) and we will stay as late as possible on the day of departure from Florence, so that we can fit in quite a bit for that day. We will depart Florence for Sorrento where we will stay 3 nights. We plan to spend the 2 full days exploring Pompeii/Mt. Vesuvius and taking an Amalfi Coast tour. We will head back to Rome as late in the day as possible for the last night before our departure from Rome. Flying in and out of Rome is already set in stone, but I am open to any suggestions regarding the specifics of the itinerary! Thanks!

Last edited by amy031562; Nov 7th, 2022 at 05:08 PM.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 05:53 AM

GetYourGuide has a daytrip from Florence that visits Pisa/San G/Siena.
From Florence: Day Trip Pisa, Siena & San Gimignano w/Lunch | GetYourGuide
A big day, but checks a lot of your boxes.

We've done lots of daytrips thru them and always satisfied.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 10:45 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Your time would be better spent taking those days from southern Italy and giving them to Tuscany. You are starching your short time too thin.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 04:06 PM

I would order this itinerary differently. I would head to Florence or Sorrento immediately after landing and spend the days in Rome at the end before the departing flight. As you've noted, the arrival day isn't good for much so you might as well use a few hours to reach one of your farther destinations.

But I also agree with HappyTrvlr that an itinerary of Rome, Florence and exploring Tuscany by public trans (and skipping Campania) would give you more time for all that you hope to do/see and also help you work around potential rainy days.
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alandavid, I will check into that! HappyTrvlr, I may have to eliminate one of the Tuscany day trips, but for me Pompeii/Mt. Vesuvius are non-negotiable, so I'll just have to keep mulling it over. Jean, I will take a look at how that might change things, it is certainly something to consider! Thanks!
Old Nov 8th, 2022, 09:56 PM
mjs

I agree with Jean and Happytrvir. Most of us traveling have limitations on time and or money and we cannot always do everything we want on a trip. You want to wander round small villages of Tuscany and see the scenery. That takes a car or rent a driver with a car or a lot more time with public transportation. Possible scenic routes can be seen on a Michelin map. I too would leave Rome for last and would do eitherTuscany or Pompeii and the Amalfi coast but not both.
Old Nov 9th, 2022, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by amy031562
Thanks alandavid, I will check into that! HappyTrvlr, I may have to eliminate one of the Tuscany day trips, but for me Pompeii/Mt. Vesuvius are non-negotiable, so I'll just have to keep mulling it over. Jean, I will take a look at how that might change things, it is certainly something to consider! Thanks!
It is possible to visit Pompeii as a day trip from Rome. Some trains from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale take just 1:13 hours, and you could be at the entrance to Pompeii less than an hour after reaching Naples. If Pompeii is "non-negotiable," I would prioritize the archeology museum in Naples over climbing/seeing Mt. Vesuvius up-close. Artifacts/relics unearthed at Pompeii are housed in the archeo museum, and the museum is within walking distance of the Centrale train station. I don't recommend this day trip if rain is in the forecast.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mjs, I will definitely get a Michelin map! And I might consider possibly leaving off the Amalfi Coast and adding that day to the Florence/Tuscany itinerary. That's a possibility...
Jean, thanks for the suggestion regarding the museum in Naples, that would definitely be something we would enjoy! I have not had a chance to really 'flesh out' the finer details of the trip, so I hadn't read about that yet.