Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip from Zurich to Engadine Possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will arrive in Zurich at about noon the day before my flight home. This will be June 17. Is there a picturesque village close enough to visit for a couple of hours. I will be coming in from Wengen and I have been in the Bernese Oberland two times before. I would just like to get the feel of the Engadine before I book it next year. I love Wengen, but I have read on this forum so many good things about the Engadine. So it might be my next destination in Switzerland.

I have been to Chur twice in route to Soglio and to board the Bernina Express. But I have never stayed any place in the Engadine.

I have a Swiss Pass, so I will be ready to board a train as soon as I drop luggage at my hotel.
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:59 PM

Hi scatcat,

The town of Scuol will be 2h39 from Zürich, or Zernez will be 2h22, and I think those will be the closest. I stayed in Scuol for four nights one time and really enjoyed it. It is spread out over three levels, with the very bottom level, next to the Inn, being the oldest and most picturesque; the train station is at the top level. However, as with most places in Switzerland, the best thing about Scuol is getting out into the mountains!

But I have to add that I've learned from hard experience to limit my day-trips to two hours of transport in each direction; otherwise, my memories are ruined by too many hours inside a closed-up, moving box. This excursion would bust my rule. I would instead head to Engelberg and Titlis, I think, or maybe enjoy the day in Rapperswil on Lake Zurich.

Good luck!

s
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:37 AM

I wouldn't travel that far the afternoon before your flight home. You wouldn't really get a feel for the Engadine in just two hours or so anyway.

Head to Rapperswil (best by boat) and spend a leisure afternoon there.

I.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks swandav and Ingo. I thought it would probably be too far. I've been to Engelberg several times and on up to Mt. Titlis twice. I do love it though and I might do it again. I just can't make up my mind about eliminating the Bernese Oberland next year and going to Engadine instead. Maybe both!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM

Hi again,

You owe it to yourself to really explore and experience the Engadin -- to broaden your experience in Switzerland. Even this small-ish valley has a lot of different characteristics to it, and spending time in the Upper Engadin (the southern part around St. Moritz/Sils) as well as the Lower Engadin (the northern part around Scoul/Guarda) would give you a terrific time.

It is SO different from the Oberland. For one thing, most of the folks there are serious hikers, not tourists, so you'll see them striding purposefully to the cable cars to start their day early rather than standing around the center of town gawking. Not that there's anything wrong with gawking; I'm a gawker myself! It just makes for a completely different experience. There are far, far fewer souvenir shops, too, and you'll be less likely to see tour busses roll through town or to hear English spoken on the streets.

Anyway, have fun as you plan!

s
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:53 AM

I vote for a visit to Rapperswil as well on the day before you depart. I stayed there for a week last November, and in Pontresina last year in June. (Click on my name if you want to read either trip report!)
Alternatively, in Zurich proper, have you ever explored the Uetliberg? Nice local trip onto the "local" mountain for goodbye views. Extensive walking and hiking paths and possibilities for an al fresco picnic (or cafe) up above.
Have loads of fun!