Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day Trip from London--Oxford or Cambridge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I will be in London for 6 days in June. We want to use one of those days for a day trip. We've heard good things about both Oxford and Cambridge. Is one better than the other? Are there pros and cons to either choice? Thanks!
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:53 PM

This has got to be a question for one who has been to both, of course, but we went to Cambridge in 2004 and found it a delightful college town. Kings' College (where the KC Choir hangs out) is quite a handsome building and there are some interesting Edward III writings and relics there.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Oxford's got more to see.

Cambridge has (arguably) slightly prettier buildings, and is less bustly. And they punt from the wrong end. It's also got a better recent (last 400 years) academic track record than Oxford because it's so cold and miserable, and stuck miles from anywhere but Ely, there's little else to do than study.

For a day trip, if you've no particular agenda, it's a toss up. Most people choose Oxford because it's a wee bit more accessible from London (the buses to Oxford go more often, and they're cheaper than the trains to Oxford or Cambridge) and it's got more modern hooks (like Harry Potter, Inspector Morse and Tolkien). For medieval buildings and cloistered charm, for a day, I'd narrowly plump for Cambridge.
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been to both and prefer Cambridge but that may be because I'm more familiar with it. I'm sure you'd enjoy either one. You can join up for a guided walk at the tourist office (the times will be on the official tourist website) which will probably go into one of the colleges.

If you go to Cambridge and have time, Ely is about 15 mins away by train and has a magnificent cathedral.

Kay
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:10 AM

It depends on the weather. If it's nice, Cambridge. If it's rainy, Oxford has more indoor sights. Also Cambridge is a small town and Oxford is a small city. I kick myself for not stopping to watch that cricket game in Cambridge.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:24 AM

I made a day trip to Cambridge last month while staying a week in London. It is a pleasant town and a good escape from the hustle of London. Take the hop on/off open top bus tour for starters. It begins at the train station. If you are interested in WWII, stop at the RAF Bar in the courtyard of the Eagle pub.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:47 AM
yk

It's been over a decade since I last visited Cambridge, but I went to Oxford last year, and it's fantastic. There are a ton of things to see/do, in fact, more than I can do in one full day.

You can read about my Oxford day trip here.
Oxford Part I segment:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-2717409

Oxford Part II segment:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...omment-2717426
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM

I've done day trips to both and preferred Cambridge.

Each has a modest sized but enjoyable art museum (Fitzwilliam at Cambridge, Ashmolean at Oxford). I think the Ashmolean may be closed right now for renovation (they were in a "greatest hits" mode when I visited during one stage of renovation), and the Fitzwilliam is likely open normally. Current advantage to Cambridge on this one, though probably a toss up when both are open normally.

The architecture at both cities in the historic area and colleges is lovely, very much worth seeing. Pretty much a dead heat on this.

Both colleges are very picturesque but can be a little on the snooty side about visitors -- I found those at Oxford much more so. The day I went to Cambridge, I was able to see the campuses of the six colleges I had interest in visiting but only two of the five or so at Oxford (three of them being closed), and the folks at Oxford colleges in general seemed especially (and willfully) unhelpful. For me, advantage Cambridge.

Note that the colleges in either city can close with no warning at any time -- it's a crap shoot as to whether all, some, or none may be available to see. There are also certain times of the year (during exam periods, I think, for one) when they're all closed. It's wise to check ahead if you can.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM

I have been to both Cambridge and Oxford several times and though i prefer Oxford by a tad personally i would not dare recommend one over the other

A classic case of you cannot go wrong

and these also are not peas in pods - each is quite different than the other even though obviously similar with the college buildings and histories, etc.

a day trip to Oxbridge to me is the best day trip from London possible - for most peoples' tastes.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:23 AM

I've lived close to both, visited both fairly often at that time, and personally prefer Oxford.

But as Pal says, it's hard to go wrong whichever you choose because both are a very pleasant day out from London.

Have a lovely day wherever you go!
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM

...Both colleges are very picturesque but can be a little on the snooty side about visitors -- I found those at Oxford much more so. The day I went to Cambridge, I was able to see the campuses of the six colleges....

Good grief!
Old May 29th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Josser, so sorry to see you have nothing better to do than nitpick my English. Will rephrase to keep the pedants happy, I suppose. Please correct "...Both colleges..." above to:

"...The various colleges in both towns..."

If you've got a problem with "towns" here, I'm not changing that, sorry.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Seems like we really can't go wrong either way. We'll probably end up going to Oxford.

Bachslunch--do you know where to find out information on whether the colleges will be open? Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:18 AM
yk

You can go on to individual colleges' websites and check opening times, HOWEVER, they can choose to open/close on the day of, so despite advance planning, you still won't know for sure until you arrive.

Last year at Oxford, I took the free walking tour offered by the Oxford tourist office. With the tour, you get to enter at least one college - we visited one that was not open to regular public.

Having said that, Christ Church College at Oxford is usually open due to its popularity (and Harry Potter connection).
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM

You don't need to trawl the individual college websites.

A complete list of opening times is at http://www.ox.ac.uk/visitors_friends...ges/index.html
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:39 AM

"Good grief!"

I suspect Josser was more irritated at the use of the word "campus" , which has no meaning in this context. Or possibly "campuses" (not just every bit as meaningless, inappropriate, and a silly use of an alien concept as "campus", but ugly too). Were you perhaps interested in the charmless Headington campus of Oxford Brookes University?
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For me Oxford is a town with a university built in, while Cambridge is a university with a town built in. Hence I prefer Oxford.

I was stopped a few years ago on Oxford High Street by an American and asked where the campus was. I was tempted to be high english but took the lady for a cup of tea in a college.

Someone above mentioned that college staff seemed to want to keep them out. I promise you this is one of the charms of Oxford and Cambridge that while it is intellectually difficult to "go up" to college it was always tougher to get past the porters. In my time New College (often used on Morse) was the hardest of all, but I assume a new generation of ex-coppers now walk the beat.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 01:50 PM

Cambridge seems to have a much more 'campus-like' setting than Oggsford IMO
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:31 PM

I'm a Cambridge supporter. I find it it more compact and walkable than Oxford with more than enough to keep you busy for a day -- or more. The hop-on/hop-off bus is a great way to get oriented; the American cemetery at Madingley is a moving experience; the marketplace and surrounding streets offer some interesting shopping and the bookstores are great. This doesn't even include exploring the colleges, visiting the Fitzwilliam, stopping at the Round Church or Great St. Mary's; walking the Backs, punting on the Cam -- or just watching the punters
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:08 PM

I have been to both. I like Bilboburgler's descriptions.

IMHO, the buildings at Cambridge are slightly more interesting and beautiful than Oxford and including Ely Cathedral would be perfect. The Pub Spaarne mentioned is interesting. I may not have the details exactly right, but at some point soldiers, sailors, etc. wrote their names in (cigarette or candle) smoke on the ceilings. Those have been preserved. I don't enjoy the city area of Cambridge. It seems congested and not very pretty. Punting on the river would be fun in Cambridge though.

If you have a long day for Oxford, you could include a visit to Blenheim Palace. Some people hate Blenheim. Other love it. While I don't like parts of it, other parts, I love, and I like the grounds and the little town of Woodstock just outside it's gates. Walking around the city area of Oxford is more fun than Cambridge for me. I like the tea rooms & bookstores. You can also do some rowing on the river there.
Personally, I would choose Oxford.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -