Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip from London -- Dover vs. Stonehedge

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 11:59 AM
Megan Quinn

My friend and I are scheduled to leave for London on Oct. 3rd, assuming we are not at war by then. We are trying to decide on a day trip from London (we only have time for one day trip) -- She want's Dover -- I say Stonehedge. Does anyone have any advice on which would be the better day trip takng into consideration things to do in each area?

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Leslie

If you're going to go to Stonehenge, you should also make sure you get to Bath. Bath is great for a day trip. I wasn't overly impressed by Stonehenge, but that's because I am not into archaeology, but others will say differently. To me, it was just a bunch of rocks, okay, monoliths. You can't get up close like you used to be able to years ago, because of the graffiti. The graffiti has been removed from Stonehenge, but it is now gated to prevent it from happening again.

Haven't been to Dover, so I can't give you any comments. But, have a great trip, you will love London.

Leslie

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Escritora

Actually, you can be pretty seriously into archaeology and still be left stone cold (oh, fine--sorry!) by Stonehenge. You have to believe in its mystical/pagan significance, otherwise it's pretty much a pile of rocks--and a pile of rocks viewed from a distance, unless you can get one of the Astral Tours "beyond the fences" deals. I checked for you, though, and the final one this year is September 27. I'd agree with Leslie that a combined Bath/Stonehenge tour would make more sense.

As for Dover, if you're driving you can combine it with a visit to Canterbury, which I enjoyed very much. In addition to the Cathedral, it's got a nice archaeology exhibit, and it's a lovely little town to walk around.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:11 PM
kitty

I would recommend taking a combination trip to Stonehenge with Salisbury. The cathedral in Salisbury is outstanding and there are other interesting little museums aroung the cathedral that are interesting too. I found Stonehenge interesting because you have an audio tour that explains so much about the area. My only complaint was that Stonehenge was very crowded. Salisbury, however, was just magnificient. Haven't been to Dover but previous posters didn't have too much interesting to say about it.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Dallas, Texas

Actually, I thought Stonehenge was awesome! I gotta say though, I did enjoy Dover as well. If I had to make a choice -- Stonehenge (and Bath if you can swing both).

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Shanna

Hi, Megan. I've been to both and will say that the vision from a hilltop of Stonehenge in the early morning mist was powerful. After that, it was all downhill, so to speak. It doesn't warrant a day - and I've been intrigued by Stonehenge since I was little. Dover and Canterbury are lovely towns with castle and cathedral and to me would be the better of the two - although it's not a quick trip to the coast. However, my favorite day trip was to Kew Gardens, quaint little town, great little train station with a bar to have a shandy, easy walk to the Gardens and of course, the Gardens - so wonderful. Some inviting small restaurants in the town. On the other hand, there's Cambridge - or Oxford! Both easy day trips. Whatever you decide, have a great time.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Linda

Though both have much to see and do, I too would opt for the Stonehenge, but only if I combined it with Salisbury or with Bath. Either are great additions. But Stonehenge is a long way to go for what, on the outside, will be a 45 minute experience.

And Escritora--your pun was TERRIBLE! I groaned out loud--and for someone who loves puns, that's saying something. But keep them coming. You may hit the big one yet!

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Joanne

Too bad Astral doesn't have any of the inner circle tours in October. We enjoyed the tour. which was a full day, including hours in Avebury (not enough for their 2 museums, pub, giant stone circle, etc.), guide pointing out crop circles (and the pub where they're allegedly planned, LOL), etc.

When we arrived at Stonehenge, at 7 PM closing time, others were waiting to join us, having made arrangements directly through English Heritage. So if you really want to see Stonehenge, from the inside, and if you're driving yourself, you could put together a day with Salisbury, Avebury and then the inside tour at the end of the day. Try contacting Astral or English Heritage for details.

http://www.stonehengetours.com/Stone...ss%20tours.htm

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 07:04 PM
pat

You might consider doing a boat ride down the Thames and going to Hampton Court. Lots to see there including a maze that we managed to get lost in. (There is a buzzer you push and they get you out). If you are interested in history and Henry the 8th, it would be a good choice, and not very far out. We took the train back to London.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 03:32 AM
david west

Stonehenge would be my choice of the two. However I don't feel that either are a day trip on their own. I would combine Stonehenge with Salisbury, which is a lovely old city, and is about 5 miles from Stonehenge. You can easily do this on public transport.

Incidentally did anyone notice in the original post the typo "stonehedge". That conjours up a marvellous mental image.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 08:53 AM
Steve Mueller

It's already been stated, but it's worth repeating. If you choose Stonehenge, don't miss the town of Salisbury. I recommend the Verger tour of the Cathedral. It takes about two hours, but is worth every minute. It's almost as good as the tour at Westminster Abbey.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Bill I

I have been to both. I have been to Stonhenge a couple of times & really enjoyed it, but that is not a daytrip in itself. As others have suggested, you can combine it with a visit in Salisbury - the cathedral is worth seeing, & also Old Sarum - the ruins on the original site of Salisbury.
That being said - I thought Dover castle was awesome. It is large & alot to walk around in. Also have the ruins of an old Roman lighthouse there. Not sure what the town of Dover itself has to offer, plenty I imagine, but we combined our stop at Dover Castle with a stop in Cantebury to see the Cathedral & town there.

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Bob

My wife and I stayed in the Cotswolds this summer and took one day to see Bath, Stonehenge and Salisbury. We enjoyed all three locations.

I agree with most of the other posters that Stonehenge is one of those things you want to see at some point in your travels but it does not take too long and we did the audio tour. Do not plan your whole day for that alone. Book Bath, Salisbury or both and you will enjoy the day.

Never been to Dover so no comment on that.