Day Trip from Istanbul

May 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Day Trip from Istanbul

Sorry that I already posted this but forgot to place it in the Turkey forum.

The idea of going to a large city is not my cup of tea when vacationing because I live in one. However, Istanbul has always seemed so appealing that we decided to set aside 4 days there. The relatively long time (one-third of our trip) will hopefully allow us to mitigate the typical stress typical of large cities by allowing a somewhat casual pace.

Despite all of the above, if four days proves to be just one day too much for us, what day trip would you recommend as an escape from the city, whether it's tranquill, relatively intense hiking or something in between so long as it's not city-like. We're already planning a day on the Bosporus (sp?), so this would be a day spent some other way if need be.
May 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Hi

Try the Princes Islands. Or maybe Ediye. I found staying in accommodation in Sultanahmet quieter than Beyoglu, Ortakoy, Taksim etc. Try to hang in there. Istanbul is an incredible city with much to see and do.
May 7th, 2008, 10:12 PM

You might be more tired just to try and get out of the city than by staying in the center...

But Princes Islands is the general place to escape to. You'll find good info on http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/g...lar/index.html
May 7th, 2008, 11:02 PM

If you are wondering if there is anything a little farther afield where you might hire a car and head out into the countryside, I would recommend Bursa. Just take the ferry from Yenikapi to Yalova, then you will be driving in the countryside as far as Bursa. Since Bursa is one of the previous capitals of the Ottoman Empire (at that time Otttoman State) you will be spoilt by the quality and diversity of early Ottoman architecture and culture there.

You should not miss doing these things in Bursa.

1. Going to an authentic natural hot water hamam.

2. Eating Iskender Kebap

3. Visiting the historic silk market in the Caccon Han (Koza Han)

4. Visiting the tombs of first 3 sultans of the Ottoman dynasty.

5. Eating candied chestnuts. (Kestane Sekeri)

Enjoy your stay in Turkey
May 8th, 2008, 04:14 AM

Hmm, anatoliancruiser, I remember my hamam session in the Bursa Eski hamam, with the water at 53C running out of the tube in the central bath. It took me some 20 minutes to get in the central bath and then some 20 minutes more to get under the hot water source. We kept hands between friends in case one of us would loose conscience because of the heath. It really takes your breath. It was very surprising to see the local older people going rather easily under the hot water tube without too much difficulties.
There were no official scrubbers or washers in that time in Bursa, and we got a very decent scrubbing from some local person. We were brand new when leaving, after some maden suyu and a 2 hour siesta.
May 8th, 2008, 04:47 AM

Dear Baldrick,

Unfortunately you went to the hottest hamam in Bursa. The water temperature of the natural spa hamams in Bursa vary depending on the region they are located. The hottest ones are around Osmangazi area whereas relatively cooler ones are in Çekirge district.

The one I recommend is Termal Hamam (Eski Kaplica) next to the Kervansaray Hotel.

http://www.kervansarayhotels.com/ter...rmal_hamam.htm

With all good wishes.
May 8th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Since you already have the Bosporus cruise which is leisurely and long, you really only have three days in Istanbul, so I recommend spending all of that time there. It was quite easy to get around with the tram, ferries, and metro, and I found respite from the crowds by walking through neighborhoods in Beygolu. The Asian side was no less crowded near the ferry port but I highly recommend going over.
You definitely want to balance the sightseeing (the madness around Sultanahmet) with some leisurely strolling.
May 9th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to everyone for the very helpful comments. All of them are very practical. I'll print the thread and take it with me. Once we've spent a couple days in Istanbul, we can evaluate how we feel. We'll be well prepared, thanks to your help, to either stick to our plan or improvise at the last minute.