day trip from Bologna to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2016, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done a day trip from Bologna to Venice?
We are staying in Bologna and are planning to do a few day trips and
I was wondering the logistics of a day trip from Bologna to Venice.

Many thanks for all your help in advance
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 11:29 AM

The logistics are easy: there are plenty of trains that will take you directly from Bologna to Venice Santa Lucia train station, from where you can then walk everywhere or take a vaporetto (water bus) around the city. Check the Trenitalia website for train times etc. (You don't want a train that ends at Mestre, which is on the mainland and another 10 minute train ride from Venice proper.)

But in my view, if you visit Venice only during the day, you are missing a big part of the city's appeal. During the day, it is extremely crowded with tourists. There are often lines and crowds in the busiest areas, and it can seem very unappealing. You can get away from the other tourists, but it takes some effort.

But at night or in the morning, before all the day trippers arrive, Venice is sooooo much nicer - charming and wonderful. It feels almost like different city - night and day! (Ha ha.) But if you have specific things you want to see - museums, etc. - you probably would want to do those during the day.

Check the train schedules. If possible, try to stay into the evening longer than most day trippers. See if you can hang around to see Piazza San Marco at night - orchestras literally play and people dance in the square. (Then you need to catch a vaporetto back to the train station.)
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 11:31 AM

Venice is too rich in things to do for a day trip from Bologna, though if you were staying in Venice, a day trip to Bologna might work because there isn't as much to see.

From Bologna, I would look at Ravenna, Mantua, Ferrara, Verona, maybe Vicenza. If you are planning to drive, our experience in this area has been that you are either way out in the sticks looking for gasoline, in insane tollway traffic, or trying to find parking without driving into a ZTL. This isn't to discourage you, but we found driving a lot more difficult than in Tuscany. Just allow plenty of time.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 11:58 AM

It's only 30-35 minutes by train to Florence.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your help.
My trip so far sets up like this ... We are going to Rome then onto cinque terre
then my thought was Bologna.. doing day trips to Verona Ravenna, Parma Venice... or any of the ones mentioned above ... then from here I have a meeting in london and then we are headed to the Alsace region in France (driving)

The Bologna portion of the trip is still up in the air, I have been to Italy many many times but I am taking my kids on this trip. Although I have never been to Cinque terre or Bologna... In CT I rented a flat ... and I thought Bologna was a good base .... but I am open to other areas to visit ... but I do need to fly out of Rome to london so I didn't want to get myself too far north I guess. I have stayed in Venice before had the full experience but I wanted to take my kids for the day ... any thoughts on my itinerary would be appreciated ... many thanks
I was trying to this portion of my trip via train.... so I am trying to work in sites
that I can get to via train...
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 01:12 PM

Yes I did this. It was very easy. I had booked the rail tickets on line. From memory we left at about 9.30. It takes about 1.5 hours on the fast train
It was a big day but well worth it.
I used the TrentItalia website for the tickets.

We also went to Florence. Bologna has such a great train station. YOu should not have any problem if you want to do this.

Bologna is such a great base. We then travelled to Cinque Terra & Bellagio from there.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 01:23 PM

I think your kids would really need to be thrilled with train rides to enjoy the multiple day-trips by train that you are contemplating.

What I would suggest is that you overnight or spend 2 nights somewhere between le Cinque Terre and Venice, but then stay in Venice before you go back to Rome. If you really don't think your kids would like Florence, then maybe a night or two in Parma, or a night Milan (climb the roof of the Duomo), or for something wacky, try Montecantini (and go swimming in one of the grand hotels with a pool but also ride the funicular to the high town for dinner).

If you really really want to go to Ravenna -- and I can understand that totally -- then stay in Bologna (but skip Parma). And if you want to go to Venice and the kids are signed on, then leave Bologna and spend the night in Venice and go back to Rome from Venice.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

maybe its just me but a night in one place is hard with kids ... even when i travel alone to get the full day in a place you really need two nights since your traveling from one location to another... I looked at my itinerary and what I had originally planned was leave CT and have 5 full days in Bologna and use it as a base.. one day Ravenna, one day Venice, a day for Florence, and then another town and a full day in Bologna .... We usually take the car when we travel so the train is a good option so I can actually relax ... the kids are fine with trains too and the longest trip it seems is 1 1/2 hours .. maybe this is crazy ??? any thoughts ..
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 03:16 PM

Choose a hotel in Bologna near the train station to keep connecting time to a minimum.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 04:17 PM

For a hotel near the Bologna station, enter the following on booking.com

Stazioni Centrale Bologna
Old Apr 1st, 2016, 12:30 AM

Even if it is only you, then you do best to arrange the trip in a way that works for you. But then I would suggest renting an apartment in Bologna for 5 days rather than getting a hotel. By renting an apartment, you get the bonus of being able to shop for fresh pasta in the market and cook it at home (always ask how long to boil the pasta before leaving the shop). It's a real treat, and often better than what you find in the restaurants. Just serve it with butter.

AirBnb works in Italy for finding apartments. More expensive is Halldis, and you can also try Flipkey as a general aggregator of rentals. Booking.com usually has a few rentals. It is a good tip to stay closer to the train station, although taxis are plentiful and buses aren't bad.

Ferrara is a rewarding day trip from Bologna, maybe especially for kids who like bike riding, and quite short (20 minutes or so on the train).