Day trip from Bilbao and back?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are some possible options for a day trip from Bilbao, Spain and back in Bilbao the same night?

San Sebastian? Any advice? Thanks a bunch!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 01:28 PM
rex

Certainly not a long distance between the two - barely over an hour.

I can heartily recommend seeing the Museoa Eduardo Chillida (just) outside San Sebastian in Hernani.

There is also a nice corniche drive between Zarautz and Getaria not far away from San Sebastian.

If you don't already have it, let me recommend the Basque country PDF from www.maribelsguides.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:21 PM

There's a nonstop, somewhat over an hour in length, bus that goes between San Sebastian and Bilbao. No point in driving. Why not make reservations for lunch at one of San Sebastian's famed restaurants? The prices are much less at lunch. The view (and food) at Akelare is wonderful. Then stroll the city, get just a little hungry, and start exploring the endless tapas bars. I can't wait to go back!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:42 PM

I will directly quote Maribel's response earlier this year to my itinerary proposal:

"take a drive to Gernika to tour the very moving Museo de la Paz, then drive thru the Urdaibai Reserve past Arteaga to visit the cute fishing village of Elantxobe, then head west following a very pretty coastal drive past Llaida beach, Mundaka, Bermeo, stopping for a wonderful lunch near the San Gaztelugatxe shrine at the charming country inn, Restaurant Eneperi overlooking the water (had a suberb meal there last July-see www.eneperi.com). You can work up an appetite by taking the 400 steps up to the shrine itself, a great cardiovascular workout! http://www.bermeokue.com/iglesi1.htm Then drive on to Bakio (if it's afternoon, stop at the Donibane Gorrondona winery for a tasting of their white and red txakoli-info in my Basque file) then drive back to Bilbao inland thru Mungia, as the rest of the coastal drive back to Bilbao isn't as pretty."

I did this drive (you can read my ongoing trip report if you click on my user name) and it turned out to be one of the highlights of our vacation. Mudaka...ohhh Mundaka!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

marigross, how much time would your idea take and is it doable for a student? I have to catch a train to Barcelona the next morning from Bilbao...thanks in advance!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:35 AM

I take no credit for the itinerary, it was Maribel's advice. Use the search in this forum for her name and you will find a wealth of information. Make sure you download her file from maribelsguides.com before you leave.

This drive took us around six leisurely hours but I did not go to the Gernika musuem or to the winery. I don't know if you have a car. I just posted some pictures of the area in my trip report if you are interested.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:50 AM

San Sebastian makes for a fabulous daytrip...highly recommended! (see my trip report for further details)