Day Trip from Bath to Wales

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trip planning is almost complete for England trip in May. London 4 nights, Bath 4 nights, London 2 nights, flying from US. We have two tours from Bath, one day each, Glastonbury, Wells, Cheddar Gorge, and Cotswolds, Stonhenge, Avebury, etc. We are looking for a day tour into Wales, from Bath, recognizing that it will be a sampler tour of the southern part and intend to return on another trip for the northern part.
We originally planned to go to Caerleon but have run into a few issues, one primary one being there are no toilet facilities available. I know that seems ridiculous but, well, it could be a problem since we will not have a car.
So, we have found several tour providers but can't quite decide on what exactly we want to see. Castles, scenery, ruins, abbeys, cemeteries, museums, all are of interest. And maybe Caerleon if we can work that in and have a car for access to facilities.
Suggestions? And if you do have a recommendation for tour providers, that would be appreciated, too.
Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 07:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have 4 nights in Bath, that's 3 full days. If you have 2 days already planned out of town, I suggest saving Wales for a trip to Wales when you'll actually have enough time, and using the 1 day that's left to enjoy Bath itself. It seems obvious to me, but maybe not.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

That is a possibility. We do plan at least two more trips to the UK, including a return to Scotland. We will arrive in Bath about noon on one day and have a tour booked the following day and another tour another day. The tours we are taking will return us to Bath by around 5 pm.
Decisions!
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 07:37 PM

I'm glad you're considering a day in Bath on your trip to Bath. I'm not being snarky, it's amusement. It's a lovely town to stroll and visit the Roman Baths and environs, Royal Crescent, take a walk along the Kennet & Avon Canal, and just give yourself time to see. It seems to me the choice is to see some of Bath well, or see a bit of Wales badly.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

I am not being snarky, either. We have every intention of seeing as much as possible of Bath while we are there. Unlike some we have limited time to travel and want to see the highlights of many places. If I were 20 and had years ahead to travel I'd do things much differently, but alas that is not the case. I have done trips where we stayed in one city and an occasional day trip, and I really like that option.
Meanwhile, if you have anything useful to contribute to the actual question I'd appreciate hearing it.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 06:26 AM

I seem to be boring you so I'll stop now. Maybe someone useful will come along.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 06:37 AM

I too would suggest you spend a day just strolling in Bath. As well as visiting the Roman Baths, the Abbey, the Pump House, the Assembly Rooms, the museum in the Royal Crescent, etc. Bath is a really nice place, and it would be good to have a day on your own time instead of on a tour.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

LOL, I KNOW Bath is a lovely place. We will be arriving before noon on the first day and departing afternoon on the last day. So we have the evenings of the days we are there plus those two at least half days. Is it enough to see everything? No. Is it what WE choose to do.
Many who respond often criticize those who give no details but I can see that I have given too much detail. I should have just asked for recommendations for a day trip from Bath to Wales and perhaps then I would have gotten the advice I am asking for. There are reasons WHY we are doing it this way and they are valid to US.
Thanks for the responses.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 07:42 AM

Since you're not interested in hearing opinons on what to do with your time in/around Bath, many will be hesistant to suggest what you should see. So figure that bit out and then pick a tour company that offers those options.

I've never used this company but their site says, "Celtic Horizon's South Wales tour can be be adapted to meet your requirements: contact us for excursion plans and prices for your tour and interests."

http://www.celtichorizons.com/tours/...rs/south_wales

If you are open to a suggestion of a pub to visit, I recomend The Old Green Tree:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...e-in-Bath.html
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 07:47 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Challiman, I think it's a great idea. I know you plan to go back and can spend more time later, but if I were in your shoes I WOULD make a quick trip to Wales.

<I>"We are looking for a day tour into Wales, from Bath, recognizing that it will be a sampler tour of the southern part and intend to return on another trip for the northern part. "

</I>Sounds wonderful to me!

We had a lovely trip to Ireland, England and Scotland and did quite a few things we didn't originally plan on doing. It's been longer than expected to get back and I really wish we had gone to Wales as well (no pun intended).
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

G.Hopper, we have done a lot of research about what to see in and around Bath! How can you read my post and not understand that I am interested in a day trip to Wales. I did not ask or need information on Bath, just for suggestions on a day trip to Wales and if anyone had suggestions on a tour provider or any particular sights that we might have overlooked in our own research.
And I definitely welcome the recommendation of a pub! Thank you for that.
We have looked into Celtic Horizons tours and my companion has sent them an inquiry last night. That may be what we use, but doesn't hurt to have personal recommendations.

Thank you, starrs. I am sure we will get this sorted out to suit our needs.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 08:23 AM

Another option is to take an early morning train from Bath to Cardiff and take the day tour from Cardiff. There will be more tour options from Cardiff.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 08:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Challiman, could you post links to the tours you are considering?

it's difficult for us to advise you in a vacuum!

however, from the experiences that we had when our DS was at uni in Wales, we particularly liked the Brecon Beacons, the Wye valley, the National Botanic gardens, and Aberglasney [more gardens].

if you are interested in wildlife, a trip to Slimbridge [the National wetlands centre] might be in order on the way back.

hope that helps!
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

oscar, that is a very helpful suggestion. Thank you!
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 09:40 AM

<<Many who respond often criticize those who give no details but I can see that I have given too much detail.

Actually, giving too little details wont really work either, LOL. You will then be lectured on the necessity of providing more details and on how to ask your questions.

I can't help you with Wales, but I have been to Bath and I think your time there would be fine for us, too. We only had 2 half days bc we also did trips to Stonehenge, Salisbury and Avebury. None of us feel that we missed anything in particular without more time in Bath.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Philly, thank you. We are really looking forward to this part of our trip. I'm sure we will find a way to do this. And see the things on the two tours. Wish it could be longer but not possible this time.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/tours/s...-full-day-tour
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

And: http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk

These are the two tours we have booked.

I did mention some of this in my original post: We have two tours from Bath, one day each, Glastonbury, Wells, Cheddar Gorge, and Cotswolds, Stonhenge, Avebury, etc.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Challiman, it was the tours in Wales that you were looking at the I was suggesting that you post - in your OP you mention that you've found several tour providers [for Wales, presumably] but you don't tell us which they are or what they are offering.
Old Feb 24th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

annhig, sorry, I misunderstood your question. We had been looking into the one mentioned above, http://www.celtichorizons.com/tours/...rs/south_wales, but now they have responded that they are completely booked for the date we need. They have a suggested tour or can personalize one according to our wishes. That was one reason I asked the questions here, to get recommendations for what would be best to see in one day if we could design our own tour. Now that Mad Max is out, we are looking for other tour options. We would like to see Cardiff, castles, abbeys, just scenery in general, and Caerleon if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -