Search

Day Trip from Barcelona - need advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip from Barcelona - need advice

Hello Fodorites!

Will be spending some days in Barcelona in late Sept./early Oct. and wanted to do a day trip outside the city. Originally I was debating between a) Montserrat (the abbey) and b) Girona+Figueres, but eventually, after doing some research, decided to cross Montserrat off the list and focus on (b).

Are Girona and Figueres doable on a single day? I won't be renting a car and do not want to resort to an organized trip, so will travel via public transit. Flying solo, male, fit. I enjoy art but am rather lukewarm towards Dali, so not sure whether it is even worth squeezing in Figueres.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. What do you think?
Old Sep 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Check the train schedules - the spanish site is RENFE - see if the timing works for you. We went on an organized day tour which ended up being good for us as it included tickets to the Dali museum. We met some other folks who had traveled on their own to Figueres only to find out they could not get into the museum that day.

If you're not that into Dali I would think just staying in Girona would make a pleasant day. It is a lovely city for strolling and a long lunch. I think it is also a city that bikers like for some reason, we saw them shooting a TV commercial with a biker (not Lance) but others seemed to recognize him. Maybe you could even rent a bike there for some exercise in a lovely location. Enjoy!
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that, suec1.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 05:50 AM

I had wanted to take a day trip to Girona but couldn't seem to get a ticket on RENFE. I finally realized that I should just buy the ticket at the train station.

I sympathize with your feelings toward Dali. I am cooler than even lukewarm about him.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 05:51 AM

It would be helpful to know why you crossed Montserrat off the list.

What are you looking for in the day trip?
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 06:16 AM

I'd also like to know why you dropped Montserrat. It isn't only the abbey there. The trip up to the mountain is special; there are wonderful footpaths with spectacular scenery. We were also in Girona which was enjoyable (didn't get to Figures) but it's not the same kind of trip. Girona and Figures are cities/towns - museums, site, walls, old city, markets. Montserrat is something different from the usual places I visited in Europe.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 06:36 AM

Personally I'd focus on Girona. It's a beautiful city with a stone medieval core very well preserved (and very hilly). I'm not a huge Dali fan either so definately prefer Girona over Figueres. It would be a busy day to visit both as a daytrip using public transport.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 06:43 AM

I love art, but wasn't a big fan of Dali before I went to Figueres.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand that you're not a Dali fa, however the museum is so creative and fun. We loved our day in Figueras
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the feedback.

I have crossed Montserrat off the list because of the impression that Girona offered much more than Montserrat. And while Montserrat is more than just the abbey, it appears that people go there chiefly to see the abbey.

I am just looking to get out of Barcelona for a day (to return to the hotel in the evening) and see some place that no traveller who is in Barcelona should really miss. Whether the setting is urban or bucolic really doesn't make much of a difference, as long as the logistics is fine - I don't want to stress myself too much about getting to and fro (and I won't be renting a vehicle).

It appears that there isn't much to do in Figueres except for Dali's theater, and considering that I am not so enamored with him, I think I will give Figueres a pass.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM

wow you certainly got more feedback today than yesterday! hope you have a pleasant visit to Barcelona and beyond.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Suec1! People always make for a more helpful lot on Fridays.
As things stand, I am inclined to follow your suggestion and just spend a relaxing day in Girona. Thank you again!
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM

I really enjoyed spending a day in Girona. It's a lovely city, wonderful to roam, a few nice sites to see. Very nice day trip from Barcelona.

I was not a Dali fan, and I suppose I'm still not a fan. But I absolutely enjoyed going to the Dali museum. What an incredible place. I spent hours there, actually.

I suppose you could do both in a day, but I think it would feel rushed.

I've been to Montserrat twice. I saw the abby, but certainly did not go for that. I went for the scenery. It really is so unique. There are some lovely walks/hikes to take in the area. It is really quite stunning.
Old Sep 7th, 2012, 04:39 PM

We loved Girona; in fact, we spent 2 nights there, so I am partial to Girona.
The stone medieval hilly core that CathyM writes about is very pretty & interesting & we loved walking around that area. Also, take a walk along the old stone wall. The cathedral is beautiful & there is an art museum. Also, Roman baths if I remember correctly but they were closed when we were there. There is also a great farmers market our hotel desk clerk told us about.