Reload this Page >

Day tours in Rome

Search

Day tours in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Vicki V

Day tours in Rome

We're visiting Rome with 2 teenagers and my mother-in-law. When we did London we took the buses which allowed us to get on and off at our pleasure. Is there any tour like this in Rome, or is there a good day tour that hits the high spots? We plan on spending most of one day at the Vatican, but don't have a lot of time to see everything else.<BR><BR>It is an 11 day trip, we are driving as we live temporarily in Germany, our itenerary includes Pisa, Naples, Rome, Milan and Florence. I am for dropping either Milan or Florence (both are overnighters only, and staying an extra day in Rome.<BR><BR>Any suggestions?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Kay

Vicki,<BR>there's been lots of talk recently on this forum about day tours of Rome - try doing a search, you'll get heaps of info. There is a 'stop & go' bus tour, also the Archeobus which sounds similar. <BR>Kay

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 01:22 AM
VickiV

I did a search for Rome tours and most were walking tours, which I think may be a bit taxing for my mother-in-law. However, I searched Archeobus, and found<BR>http://www.romavision.com/ which lists a couple of bus, and stop & go type tours. <BR><BR>So, thank you Kay for your suggestion, although I wasted a ton of time looking through walking tours.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Vita

Vicki, I haven't been to Milan so I'm probably not qualified to say this, but drop Milan and spend an extra day in Rome or Florence. I suggest this for a number of reasons: 1) Milan is far north of anywhere else you are going,2) Florence is great, 3) you'll have a more relaxed stay. Depending on your itinerary and what you want to see in Pisa, you might also want to consider doing a day trip to Pisa from Florence - it's one less hotel to check into, etc.<BR><BR>That said, I've used Enjoy Rome (www.enjoyrome.com) for their walking tours, but I believe they book bus tours as well with VAS. The walking tour only covers ancient Rome, so you won't be walking all over the city. I'm not sure how much walking your mother-in-law can do, but I think walking is the best way to see Rome. Sorry I can't recommend any hop-on, hop-off type tours.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 12:24 AM
Vicki V

We'll be headed back to Germany from Rome, so that is why Florence then Milan. Our first stop is in Pisa to stop at the military base near there for various reasons.<BR>Thanks for your input.<BR>VV

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 03:21 AM
xxx

Bus tours in Rome are run by Carrani Tours, Appian Line, Green Line, Vastour and Amex. There are 4 "basic" half-day tours that may be coupled to make up for a full day tour. All operators basically run the same itineraries (same day periods as well). You may have a look on what these itineraries look like at<BR>http://www.appianline.it/panorama.htm