Day rooms at AMS

Apr 28th, 2005, 02:04 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Day rooms at AMS

My dad and stepmom are going to Cairo next year and will have a very long layover at AMS if they book w/KLM. Their flight from IAH would arrive AMS at 8am, and the flight from AMS to CAI leaves at 7:25pm. If they buy this ticket they will want a hotel room to shower and nap during this time. Has anyone ever done this? If so, please give me your suggestions.

P. S. We know this schedule stinks, but the cost savings of this compared with Air France's price is more than enough to justify a room. They are using one award ticket and buying the other ticket, that's why they are constrained to using either KLM or AF. Thanks.
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Check on the www.schiphol.nl website. As I recall the Mercure Hotel (I think that's the one) which is located within the terminal provides showers. etc., for a fee.

I know for certain that the Sheraton, which is connected to the Schiphol Plaza by covered walkway, will let you use their health club and showers for a fee as I have done this in the past.

There are some less expensive hotels within a couple of Kms of the airport as well as those I've mentioned above which are closer, along with the also closer and connected by walkway Hilton, which will rent dayrooms.

Unless they want to make the 15-20 minute trip into the city for sightseeing I suspect a dayroom might be worth the money.
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:33 PM

We had a similar flight a few times..Once we stayed at the Mercure Hotel and once we stayed at the Ibis Hotel (not in the airport but right near it)..They were both great after a long flight..We slept most of the time and were well rested by the time we left to Cairo..We booked for the day and paid a reduced rate..I don't remember what it was, but it was cheaper than what I expected.
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thank you both, I will pass this along.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:53 AM

I live overseas and travel through Schipol several times a year. I stay at the Mercure (right in the airport - no need to pass through security) IF it has rooms available - more often than not it's full. Otherwise, I go to the Ibis. Both are 80-100 Euros for a day room. For the Ibis, follow the terminal signs to 'Hotel Buses', the Ibis bus comes every half hour. The Sheraton is handier, but its rack rate is about 250 Euros, too much to pay when all youwant is a shower and a bed.

For longer layovers (1 day or more), take a 40 minute train to Delft. Many nice small 3-star hotels there within minutes of thr train station, and Delft has a marvelous medieval core.

BTW - wise choice using KLM instead of Air France. There is no comparison.