Day (possible overnight) Trips from Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been a lurker here off and on for a few years and have used a number of tips and suggestions to plan a couple of very nice trips. So a belated thanks to the many posters whose names I can't remember. A little background--

My wife and I are planning our second trip together to Europe. Our first trip was supposed to be a tour Italy but "we" ended up 7 1/2 months pregnant and were forced to confine our stay to Venice & Verona. It was nice, but as it was my wife's first trip to Europe, she was bummed that we couldn't see a few more places. Needless to say, this time we'll be a bit more careful in the months leading up to our vacation!

Anyway, this time around, we've decided to rent an apartment in Paris for 10 days. In addition to seeing Paris, our plan is to squeeze in a couple daytrips and one overnight to London. I've been to Paris, but it was quite some time ago and as I mentioned above, my wife has never "really" been to Europe. So she would like to visit a couple of other countries (maybe Holland, Belgium, Switzerland?).

I was hoping to get some suggestions on daytrips from Paris. We're not afraid of long train rides, as we won't have to carry much and can rest up nicely in between trips. The London overnight is a sure thing. We were also thinking Amsterdam, but--not sure how realistic that is in a day. And probably Brussels as well. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks much.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Well, if you already have a trip lined up for London, and with 10 days altogether, please be careful not to overdo it! The suggestions are quite easy:
- by train: Brussels (1 1/2 hours), Brugge(2 to 2 1/2 hours) Amsterdam or Cologne (4 hours each). If you are planning to go after June 10, 2007, you can take advantage of the new TGV Est train and go to Strasbourg in 2 hours. OK, not really Germany, but Germanic enough for us French, and you cross the Rhine, and there you are in Germany. You can also ride the TGV to Geneva (3 1/2 hours). Nothing to write home about if you ask me.
- by plane, plenty of low cost opportunities that you can check out on www.whichbudget.com. Rather go for Paris Orly and Paris CDG, since Beauvais is really out of the way and difficult to get to. The most popular and convenient options include Krakow, Prague, Budapest to the East, Barcelona, Valencia, Santiago de Compostela to the South. From May onwards easyJet even fly to Athens from €65 all taxes included (3 1/2 hours).

Or you can do a "triangular" trip including London, eg: Paris-London on a false Eurostar return, London to, say, Amsterdam or Brussels on easyJet/BMI, Amsterdam or Brussels to Paris on the Thalys train.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link Art V. I've never seen that website before. Pretty convenient, I must say.

I've tried to tell my wife that we need to pick two cities and see them well (i.e., quality over quantity), but for some reason she wants to see as much as she can (passport stamp envy, ha ha). I think once we have a more solid agenda, her expectations will calm a bit. Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I am sorry to bring bad news about the "passport stamp" issue: all continental Western Europe (except Switzerland) is part of the Schengen agreement and is considered as one single entity to travel within. So going from Belgium to France or Germany to the Netherlands will have as much as a "border" feel as crossing from Florida to Alabama or Nebraska to Wyoming with of course zero uniform around! Even when you go to the UK, you'll really have to ask the immigration officer hard to stamp your passports.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM
nbujic

do you intend to spend any time in Paris?
or London?
it is your trip, but " it is Tuesday .. must be .... not sure "will give you a good look at train stations, taxis and airports, and as someone said :no stamps!