Reload this Page >

Day Pack VS BACKPACK

Search

Day Pack VS BACKPACK

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 10:39 PM
Dave

Day Pack VS BACKPACK

Can someone explain the difference between the two. I assume the daypack is smaller; but is it worn as a backpack or does it have one strap for a shoulder or is it just carried?<BR>I suppose you can't look too sophisticated walking the streets of Rome, Paris or Vienna with a backpack; but was wondering how useful a daypack is size wise etc???

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 07:59 AM
Bob Brown

I am not sure that there is a clear line of demarcation between the two.<BR>I think of a backpack as being large enough to carry a load of equipment that would suffice for several days on the trail under a variety of conditions. That means that the pack is large enough to carry clothes, jackets, perhaps a tent, sleeping bag, food, and other equipment for several nights on the trail well away from a means of supply. They usually have a well engineered support frame, elaborate shoulder pads, waist straps, and all kinds of storage compartments and closures. <BR>A day pack is one that will carry enough equipment for a day in the hills.<BR>It is large enough for a few extra clothes, water bottles, some food, and a few other items like a small first aid kit, a flashlight and<BR>sunscreen. <BR>A good backpack will have the capacity of perhaps 3500 cubic inches or more, even up to an expedition size of 6,500 cubic inches. I don't know what the maximum size is. <BR>A day pack is somewhere around 2200 to 3000 cubic inches. It normally does not have the supporting frame to attach a sleeping bag. But there are some very innovative people out there who can cram an amazing amount of gear into a small area. <BR>With as many varieties of packs that you can find on the market, there is a high level of marketing ploys used in the names, descriptions, and configurations. <BR><BR>What most college and high school students use as bookbags are the size of my daypack. Some perhaps a little larger. Several years ago, I wanted to get a new one so I started noting what the students were carrying. The variety was huge. When I spotted one that looked ok, I talked with the owner for a few minutes, and decided to buy one.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 11:48 AM
Greg

Bob pretty much knocked the ball outah the ole ball yard on this one so any futher comments would be unnecessary. Not even a Greg Maddux slider at the knees would have kept the ole ball from taking the ole downtown espress here dontcha sees. ;-)<BR><BR>I take a *daypack* with me to Switzerland so I can cram lotsa stuff into the pack for day hikes and such. Bottled water, orange juice, munchies of various kinds, passports, rail tickets, money, newpspapers, maps and lotsa goodies all can fit into a *daypack*.<BR><BR>Of course I use mine only on a *daytrips*. Others that carry their living essentials require a backpack. Some of them might even keep their home video syetems in there. ;-)

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 12:59 PM
Bob Brown

I was in a coin laundry in Whitefish, MT a few years ago when a young woman came in with this huge backpack - large expedition size. She began by pulling out a boombox; then she pulled out dirty clothes (an understatement if there ever was one) which she stuffed into the washer until she just about had to stand on the machine and stomp the clothes to make them fit. My wife and I sat there not knowing whether to laugh or cry at her technique. <BR>Then she dumped in enough soap to cause the machine to bubble over and cover the floor with suds. While she was hanging around, she discovered that the change machine would give an extra quarter if she put in a $5.00 bill. So she rounded up enough fivers to drain the machine of change. After that she sat there and made change for people while her machine slopped up the floor.<BR><BR>My wife said it was too bad that she did not have clothes in a day pack.<BR><BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 01:27 PM
Dave

Thanks for the detailed responses; BUT, perhaps I should have been a bit clearer. The Backpack you describe is somewhat different than what I had in mind. Let me be more precise. I will be walking around the streets of Paris, so I was not contemplating a backpack with outer or inner frames with tents, sleeping bags etc which one might see on a trek down the grand canyon. The backpack I was thinking about is best described as those used by college students for books. How does that type of backpack differ from what's been called a daypack?<BR>Thanks for any additional insight.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 02:08 PM
Bob Brown

I thought I answered your queation when I said that I bought my day pack after studying what students were carrying for book bags. The only difference is that a some of the book packs have a few extra slots for pencils, pens and what not that I don't want in a day pack.<BR>Given the fact that there is no clear line of demarcation among the various styles and models, I don't see how we can give a more specific answer.<BR>Drop by a nearby college and look at what they are carrying, if you think that will help you decide what to buy.<BR>The one I happened to see and like was a model made by L. L. Bean. The student had books for 3 classes crammed in there plus his jacket, water bottle, and tape player.<BR>But there are hundreds of varieties in a wide range of colors, constructions, prices, and fabrics. Some with waist straps, others without. Some with belts and some with zippers and some with both. <BR>Some students loop one shoulder strap over one shoulder and use their thumb to keep in place, some loop both straps over one shoulder, and some use both straps and both shoulders, while still others carry the pack under their arm. <BR>If a pack can stand a year of being drug around a college campus, it is pretty sturdy.<BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:31 AM
Ann

Dave, for those common folk like us out there who aren't regular hikers, and day pack and a back pack are pretty much the same thing. The day pack has two straps.<BR><BR>You might want to check out the courier-style bags, which just have one strap. I think they tend to be more comfortable than back/day pack if you're not lugging around a ton of stuff.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:18 AM
amber

A backpack is the same design as a daypack, only larger. I'm thinking that the distinction was created by backpack makers for marketing purposes. For example, I have a travelpack (looks and works exactly like a backpack) with a detachable daypack. Essentially, the travelpack is a large pack big enough to carry a week's worth of clothing (no frames). In addition to all the pockets which you have on your travelpack, there is a smaller backpack which looks as if it's a part of the main travelpack, but can be zippered off so you have something to carry your maps, water, sweater, etc around during the day when sightseeing. That way, you have two bags in one.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:28 AM
Christina

I have a daypack and it could not be used as a bookbag and is not much like a backpack at all because it's just a completely unconstructed heavy nylon bag. It does have two soft wide nylon straps so can be worn on the back, if you wish, also just a regular long strap. If I put a lot in it (water, sweater, guidebook, camera, few purcahses), sometimes I do wear it on my back for comfort as it can get heavy, but sometimes I just sort of carry it as a tote bag. I don't think there's any definitive answer, as someone said, it all depends on models and what you buy, so you'll just have to decide for yourself in the store. I find it very useful, it's about the size of a small shopping bag, I suppose. YOu cannot look sophisticated wearing or carrying a day pack, either, though.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 08:45 PM
dave

Thanks for all the responses; my guess is that the pack Christina mentions is probably the closest to what I was referring to as a day pack...as the old saying goes...a pack is in the eyes of the beholder....

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:31 PM
Bozie

How do I buy a first class ticket on Eurostar on the web ? Thanks