Day out in Rome

Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Day out in Rome

Spending several days in Rome in October and want to see somewhere else accessible as a day trip from Rome. We will be several days in the Amalfi coast. We have been to Florence and Venice. Need your best ideas for something different and doable by train, from Rome.
Thanks,
Carolee
Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:26 PM

Orvieto and Assisi come to mind, both reached easily by train from Rome.
Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:10 AM

For a distinct change of pace you may consider visiting one of the several hilly areas around Rome. Some of them are now regional parks (just like national parks, but managed by the regional administration and not by the central government), Riserva dell'insugherata, Pineto, Aguzzano, valle dell'Aniene, Tenuta dell'Acquafredda, Valle dei casali ecc. can all be reached with a few nimutes by bus and some of them are gorgeous green areas with lots of things to see and do. http://www.parks.it/regione.lazio/map.html (click on the orange areas to access the single areas' pages, than on "English version" on each page).
Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:56 AM

Two close sights to Rome accessible by train are Hadrian's Villa and Tivoli Gardens. Train to Tivoli, walk to the famous gardens featuring splish-splashing fountains and then take a bus a few miles to hadrian's Villa, one of the finest Roman archaeological sites, the former lavish playground of Emperor Hadrian and then return to Rome from there by bus. Hadrian's Villa is the most impressive Roman archaelogical site I've seen and its country setting makes it all the more evocative. Bus and trains run frequently. Another great short day trip goes to Ostia Antica, Rome's old port that is now a classic Roman ruin. Trains run there frequently from the Ostiense train station in Rome. Orvieto, a classic hill town about an hour from Rome is also great, a cable car runs from the Oriveto rail station up the hill to the old town. The Castelli Romani are yet other day trips: the hills south of Rome were favorite places for wealthy types to escape hectic Rome and build lavish palaces. Some of these remain and the towns are pleasant; Castel Gondolfo is where the Pope's country palace is. Trains go frequently to most of the towns. there are many other great day trips.
Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:59 AM

Ostia Antica is an easy way to see ancient ruins that are in a former port city, and in some ways easier to visualize the whole than Pompeii.
Jul 3rd, 2003, 09:00 AM

Ostia Antica is a good half day trip from Rome and very easy to reach by train. Pisa can also be done as a daytrip from Rome.
Jul 4th, 2003, 07:23 PM

carolee, if you are in Roma on a Sunday renta bicycle and head out the via Appia Antica, past the catacombs and tombs you get to open countryside pretty quickly. It is closed to most vehicular traffic on Sundays and enjoyed by many roman waqlkers, joggers and bicyclists. You can rent back at the reginal park office ( accessible by bus).
AndrewDavid
Jul 14th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you from me, Carol, for the wonderful suggestions for day trips from Rome. Ostia definitely sounds worth while. I generally prefer the town scene to the green parks, but sounds like both are included in the Castelli and Villas recommended. Apart from proximity, how does Orvieto compare with the Tuscan and Umbrian towns, (or is Orvieto in Umbria after all)? Thank you again for the excellent advice.
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:20 PM

Orvieto is wonderful and will be gorgeous that time of year. I was in Rome in October a few years ago and it was a great time to be there, not too hot, not too cool except in the evenings, and then a sweater was all that was needed. Pompeii is always worth it (as well as Herculaneum), my brother visited Ostia Antica and highly recommends it. Pisa is too far, IMO, to really see all there is to see in the time you'll have left after deducting travel time.

We went to Tivoli a year ago March, quite anxious to share the experience with our kids (we had visited some 20 years prior), and were sadly disappointed at the condition of the gardens as well as the fountains. A lot of it simply had to do with the ravages of time (and pollution) on statues and such, but also the lack of upkeep by the government for such a treasure. Many of the fountains were not working anymore. It was quite sad. I would not spend a day there unless I was assured it has all been restored, which I seriously doubt is possible in such a short amount of time. Let's face it, things do NOT move quickly in Italy when it comes to restoration and building! Just ask my friend who lives there and is building a house...it's taken them almost 3 years, but it will last a lifetime! (Concrete walls!!)
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:23 PM

Also, carolee, the idea of the trip out the Appian Way is lovely. Do go to the Catacombs if you can. The impression it leaves you with will last forever..well, at least it did me. Overwhelming.