Day hikes on Camino del Norte and Basque region

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2016, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two recently retired couples heading to Spain in May 2017. We’re concentrating on the Basque country and northern coast (including a foray into the French Basque countryside). We fly into Barcelona and out from Madrid.

Here is our itinerary (flights and lodging booked already):

Barcelona – 4 nights (May 2-5)
San Sebastian– 5 nights (May 6-10)
Basque farmhouse near Ituren - 4 nights (May 11-14)
Santanilla del Mar – 2 nights (May 15-16)
Cangas de Onis – 2 nights (May 17-18)
Segovia – 2 nights (May 19-20)
Madrid – 1 night at airport hotel (skipping Madrid this time as have been before)

We might return next year to walk for a few weeks on the Camino Frances, but for this trip we are interested in day hikes in the regions we’re visiting in May.

Can you recommend either segments of the Camino del Norte or Basque region for a day hike? I can hike 14 miles easily now, but the rest of the group wants no more than 7 miles.

Also, I plan to do the hike to the lakes in the Picos (from Cangas de Onis) but am interested in a second hike there.

Although I do have some books, it’s great to get recommendations from people who have actually done the hikes and have specific advice as to what they loved.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 31st, 2016, 03:39 PM
kja

I didn't do any walks of that length, but found this site particularly useful:
http://www.walkingasturias.com

Enjoy!
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 11:25 AM

I enjoy, as a local, the part that goes from Zumaia (San Telmo church) west all along the coast, enjoying the amazing flysch. You may continue as much as you can, and you may return whenever you feel it´s enough. A nice place for a bite and a glass of cider on the way.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 02:33 PM

The walk from Irun to San Sebastian, especially if you take the "alpinista" alternative, is a nice day hike, it's actually the first stage of the Camino del Norte. But it's more than 7 miles. Take a look at these websites for some ideas on starting and stopping points. You can also see elevation profiles for each stage, which will help in figuring out the difficulty level.

http://www.mundicamino.com/los-camin...ino-del-norte/

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/...ago/del-norte/

They are in Spanish but for details like distances, accommodations, food, etc, it's pretty self-explanatory.

The camino turns inland a lot, and I would suggest you also look at the E-9, which is a long distance European coastal route. Many people walking the norte veer off the camino and go on the E-9 (they frequently intersect and overlap) to enjoy more coastal views.

For day hikes, I would not recommend any of the Norte between Santander and Comillas, because it is virtually all asphalt and very hard on the feet.

I think the prettiest parts are in Pais Vasco and Asturias, but reallly it's almost all beautiful, except perhaps for the area around Gijon and AViles.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

kja - How wonderful to hear from you! I really enjoyed your 4 weeks in Spain trip report, and might have some more questions for you. You're such an intrepid traveler.

The Walking Asturias link is great. I had actually come across it awhile ago and considered staying at the Hotel Posada del Valle, but the parador at Cangas de Onis won out. I had lost the link, so thank much for sending it. The del Valle hotel is very close to Cangas de Onis, so I might try one of the hikes that lead from the hotel itself.

mikelg - I've also enjoyed reading your blog! The Zumaia hike along the coast is perfect. You take off from the San Telmo church? I like that we can walk as far as we feel comfortable and then just turn back. Will definitely check this one out.

Thanks to both of you. Love both your suggestions.

Happy New Year, Leslie
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 07:38 PM
kja

@ leslieq: I'm so glad that you enjoyed my trip report! It is a wonderful part of the world, and I'm sure you'll come home with many delightful memories. I will, of course, answer any questions I can, and you can post them here or on my trip report; the later might make a bit more sense, because then my comments will all be in one place. But really, whatever works.
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 10:06 PM

Yes, you start at San Telmo church, with great views of the coast, the flysch and the beach of Itzurun. One of my favorite hikes, easy to walk and in a lovely landscape.
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

kja - great! As the trip planning progresses I might have a few more questions for you, so thanks again. I also just found your trip report on Switzerland...wow. I lived in Austria for a year and speak German so have always wanted to return to Austria and Switzerland. More later.

milelg - thanks again for such a great recommendation. I do read your blog; such a great resource!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 09:01 PM
kja

I'll be happy to answer any questions I can! I envy your time in Austria, but am glad I was able to spend some time in Switzerland. Hope you enjoy that report, too!
Old Jan 4th, 2017, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

lreynold1 - wow, somehow I missed your response, which evidently came in after kja and mikelg's.

My husband is a native speaker of Spanish (mine is limited) so he can help me with the links you provided. I especially love the first mundocamino link. I've found several sites for the Camino del Norte, but the one you just gave me is I think the best! It does have an English option at the top, by the way. I'm going to start exploring the various stages and will look at the E-9 as well.

Really appreciate your information! Leslie