Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to BYPASS long airport security lines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2016, 02:47 PM
MAP
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying to Paris this September out of Kansas City connecting in Charlotte. The TV is full of nightmare pictures of long security lines in airports now and through this summer. I've heard you can buy a security pass of some sort that will allow you quicker clearance at the airport. Does someone know how I get information about that and about how much it costs? Thanks so much. MAP07
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:56 PM

Go to the TSA website for the details. You have to fill out a bunch of forms and do an interview with a TSA official.
Old May 18th, 2016, 02:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck
Old May 18th, 2016, 03:11 PM

Since you are flying internationally, you might be interested in Global Entry. Usually, you get TSA pre-check printed on your boarding pass with Global Entry. You may also get expedited through security if you are flying First Class.
Old May 18th, 2016, 03:22 PM

First or business.
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:21 PM

Global Entry costs $100 for 5 years and includes TSA Pre-check where it is available.
Love having it.
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:28 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Joining just TSA Pre Check costs almost as much as Global Entry which also includes TSA Pre Check. Start your application for Global Entry online and choose a location and date/time for your fingerprinting and interview.
I have had several international dlights(Asia) and eight domestic flights in the last month or so. My TSA Pre Check and Global Entry helped me avoid any long lines for all of my flights.
Old May 18th, 2016, 04:34 PM

For outbound flight, if you are starting from Kansas City and connecting in Charlotte, isn't your long security line concern relevant only for the Kansas City side?

For the outbound carry-on security check, TSA Pre-Check is what speeds up the process by being able to use a separate queue, if one exists, don't have to remove shoes and other things out of the carry-on. They sometimes also give out Pre-Check for those not registered, like me, randomly like a lottery, when I printout the boarding passes at the airport.

The Global entry is only for the return leg and only for speeding up the passport control part at US border control.
Old May 18th, 2016, 10:53 PM

1. Fly business or First class

2. Have priority status with your FF alliance and hope that your airport lets those chosen few use the fast lane.

3. Get Global Entry OR TSA precheck (as noted above, Global ENtry also gives you TSA Precheck).

4. Show up EARLY

Yes, security lines are long but the long lines are partially due to travelers who aren't prepared for going through security. If everyone had their stuff ready to pull out and go and emptied all of their pockets, the lines would move much faster.

Since it appears that you are an infrequent flyer, I highly recommend that you go to the TSA's website and read AND UNDERSTAND the sections regarding prohibited items, the liquids rule, and also special procedures if you have children: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening

Yes, you will have to remove your shoes. And belt, and your watch, and any large metal jewelry. You will have to empty your pockets of everything. You cannot have a bottle water or any other refreshing beverage with you, opened or not. You will very probably have to pull out your tablet (this includes iPads), cell phone (includes iPhones), notebook computer, netbook computer, and ereader so when you pack your carryon, pack for having to pull certain things out quickly.

The more prepared you are, the less stressful it is going to be.

In the U.S. you do have the right to opt out of the body scanners so if you feel uncomfortable going through one, feel free to opt out and don't let the TSA goons shame you into feeling bad about your decision. Please note that your opting out will result in a patdown and a swab for explosives.
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:01 PM

Now, coming back from Paris to the US, you're basically screwed. Show up at the airport early and hope that you have smooth sailing through security and that Paris hasn't been attacked again.

When you arrive in the US, having Global Entry would be nice as you get to bypass the queues.
Old May 19th, 2016, 07:29 AM

<<For outbound flight, if you are starting from Kansas City and connecting in Charlotte, isn't your long security line concern relevant only for the Kansas City side? >>

Yeah. You are transiting in Charlotte, so going to France you only need to worry about the lines in KC. And that's not a major airport by any stretch so you should be ok.

Coming back, it's a crapshoot. But Charlotte hasn't been listed on the "you're f----d flying here" reports like the two Chicago airports, Atlanta, and the NYC-area airports.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:05 AM

I've seen those recent TV stories and they sure scare me as I'm flying to Europe in July. I wonder if it's just certain airports (they highlight Chicago and Atlanta, plus Phoenix baggage problems) or what is going on. Because I've never spent more than about 30 minutes probably ever in the US in a security line (the longest was San Diego, not impressed with that airport). Or I wonder if there was something abnormal about those days at those airports or what. Because unless they have recently cut TSA staffing at most airports, which I have not heard they have done, it doesn't make any sense why it would be so much worse than it has ever been.

I remember right when they first started all the new rules after 911, things were slow for a while until they got used to things and procedures in place, now I don't have any major problems. I always get TSA Precheck when I fly domestically on SWA, not usually on other airlines, so I have always suspected it wasn't random (I have never paid for it), that it had something to do with me being a FF and using SW a lot. If it is totally random, it's very odd that I always get it when flying SWA.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I do hope you are not trying to dodge security on any flight I will be sharing with you......
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:27 AM

Flew out of Heathrow 3 on Tuesday afternoon to the U.S. West Coast and security was efficient and quick. A lot can depend on which terminal you are in and how much staff has been deployed.
Old May 19th, 2016, 09:50 AM

In my experience, long lines are so unpredictable but when they are long they are horrible. As previous posters have said, avoid them by flying business or first, getting Global Entry and TSA Precheck, or having Premier status with your airline. For me, that has saved literally hours. I fly a lot.
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:16 AM

<i>I've seen those recent TV stories and they sure scare me as I'm flying to Europe in July.</i>

Listen to Flava Flav and don't believe the hype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vQaVIoEjOM

Stop living in fear and go have fun on your trip.
Old May 19th, 2016, 11:57 AM

The plane from Egyptair that volatilized last night is atributed to a terrorist attack, by about everybody, inc H Clinton.
66 people on board.

(took off from CDG to Egupt)
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:11 PM

If anything, the take away from that should be to not fly out of CDG.

CDG. Not even once.
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:49 PM

I would just get a global entry its worth the $100
here is the link to it https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...ntry/how-apply
Old May 19th, 2016, 01:15 PM

TSA pre-check is good for 5 years; Global Entry is not, the last I read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -