Day Car rental in Loire Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are interested in taking the train from Paris to Tours to explore the Loire Valley for the day. When checking on daily car rentals in Tours, it appears a car is going to cost over $200 per day, which seems high. I have seen on this forum that others have rented cars for the day in this area. Is there a cheaper way to do this? I am looking at Auto Europe and Hertz. Suggestions or help?
Thanks!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Renting a car for a single day in Europe is almost always the same price as renting it for about 3 days. You might find a local French car rental outfit that would rent to you, but then you'd have to deal with contracts in French, assistance if you need it in French, etc. Of course, if you speak French, that's what I'd suggest doing - google Tours location voiture.
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info.
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 04:18 AM

The only place I know of where you can rent a car for reasonable prices for a day is SuperU - the supermarket. Of course, it all has to be done in French, and you will have to get yourself from the train station to the supermarket, but the prices are extremely reasonable. (about €40 a day, from memory)

You may be able to make a booking by email and catch a taxi to pick up the car - it's something I have never done though (we have a SuperU only a couple of kilometres down teh road)

Simon
http://daysontheclaise.blogspot.com/
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Yes, there are a lot of car hire companies in Tours (as I lived there) but you will need French and numerous paperwork, it can take quite a while to process...better off paying the money for Hertz...you can't really do the Loire Valley without a car see map and distances at www.myweekin.net