Search

Das Timmelsjoch

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 10:11 AM
Bob Brown

Das Timmelsjoch

If you have driven over the Timmelsjoch, please tell me about it. <BR>For this summer, I am thinking about driving a loop from Innsbruck to Meran and back via Landeck. I am sure the drive would take the whole day. <BR> <BR>On the map it looks like the Timmelsjoch is very steep with many curves. <BR>So that you might have a guage for comparison, I have been over the Grimsel, Furka, and Susten passes in Switzerland as well as most of the major mountain passes in Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming including some that were not paved. (Like Cumberland and Cottonwood.) <BR>And for some of you old timers, I drove over in 1954 Tioga Pass before it was widened. <BR>I am experienced with mountain passes, but there are limits!!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:02 PM
Al Godon

Interesting that the European experts are strangely silent when some of these questions come along. The authoritative voices that give such presumptious opinions suddenly fall silent. <BR>So no one has been to the Ötztal and driven into Italy? Ignorance is measured by degrees!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2001, 08:12 PM
Al Godon

Interesting that the European experts are strangely silent when some of these questions come along. The authoritative voices that give such presumptious opinions suddenly fall silent. <BR>So no one has been to the Ötztal and driven into Italy? Ignorance is measured by degrees!!

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 02:17 AM
Jochen

<BR>Bob, <BR> <BR>In know both the Timmelsjoch and the Grimsel Pass from personal experience, and I'd say they make equal demands on the driver. However, the vertical climb is much bigger for the Timmelsjoch ( the highest point is around 2500 m, whereas Meran is at 400 m ). In 1988, there was a toll on the Austrian side, but the Italian part was free. Road conditions were excellent in Austria and slightly worse in Italy. To sum up, the drive is not more difficult than the Grimsel Pass, only longer. <BR> <BR>On your way back to Landeck you'll drive through the Vinschgau/Val Venosta valley, which always reminds me to the Rhone valley in Switzerland. It is a broad and very dry valley, not very scenic, but full of cultural sights. There are some very old churches ( e.g., the church in Naturns/Naturno with wall paintings from the 8th century ), several castles ( Churburg/Castello Coira in Schluderns/Sluderno ) and the tiny but completely walled town of Glurns/Glorenza. The Reschenpaß/Passo di Resia back into Austria is not very spectacular. The drive will indeed fill a whole day. <BR> <BR>Other scenic routes from Innsbruck to Meran/Merano are Innsbruck - Brennerpaß - Sterzing/Vipiteno - Jaufenpaß/Passo di Giovo - Meran or Innsbruck - Brennerpaß - Penserjoch/Passo die Pennes(?) - Sarnthein/Sarentina - Bozen/Bolzano - Meran. <BR> <BR>( All places in this bilingual part of Italy have an Italian and a German name. Many maps have only the Italian names, but most locals use the German ones. Therefore, I tried to state both. ) <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 07:04 AM
Bob Brown

Thanks for the information. It sounds like the drive back to where I will be staying is not too scenic. I probably will be able to fill my days better elsewhere. <BR>I might do it "half way". Drive up to the top of the pass for a look, and then <BR>come back the way I went up. Or, return via Bozen to my apartment. <BR>I know that there is lot to see in that area. So any other suggestions are welcome. <BR>Actually, this will be my second visit to that part Europe, but the first one was so long ago that my memory has faded, as has my German. It was over 45 years ago! I was a young man then; today the situation is different. <BR>And Jochen, if you see this, I did make a reservation at the Sallerhof.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 12:07 AM
Jochen

Bob, <BR> <BR>I didn't want to discourage you from visiting the Vinschgau. This valley is well worth visiting . However, if scenery is your priority, you'll find better routes. Actually, the Vinschgau is the stretch from Meran to the Reschenpaß. The part from the Timmelsjoch to Meran, the Passeiertal/Val Passiria, is different. The scenery is better, and it is fascinating to see how drastically the vegetation changes with altitude, and how different the northern and the southern slope of the alps are. Sometimes, the weather on the southern side is much better than on the northern side. Meran has a nice old town and several beautiful and easy walks ( e.g., the Tappeinerweg ). <BR> <BR>In case you choose to return to your apartment via the Jaufenpaß, you might want to stop in Sterzing/Vipiteno. Sterzing has a again a beautiful old town and several castles. One of them, Burg Reifenstein, is open to the public. From Sterzing, you can access three smaller valleys ( Ratschingstal/Valle di Racines, Ridnauntal/V. di Ridanna, and Pfitschertal/V. d Vizze ). All three are off the beaten track and rather unspoilt. The same is true for the Pfelderertal, which is accesible from Moos/Moso in the Passeiertal, not far from the Timmelsjoch. <BR> <BR>By the way, the Sallerhof seems to be a good base for daytripping, since it is close to Salzburg and to the motorway. <BR> <BR>Regards, Jochen