Czernowitz in Czech Republic not Ukraine

Mar 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Czernowitz in Czech Republic not Ukraine

We are looking to do genealogical exploration and want to find out if there is anything remaining of this town. We believe it is north of Vienna and South east of Prague. Its' borders changed between Czech and Austria during the past wars.
Mar 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM

Bob, Sue:

some possible help:

www.jewishgen.org/

www.jewishgen.org/Communities

I have done extensive travel and research throughout Eastern and Central Europe over the past several decades. JGS was my #1 resource...you don't need any affiliation with the Jewish community to ask for their help. I'm a writer and they have helped me immeasurably. It would help if you had a ship's manifest for any reatives who emigrated from the region. Other than the large well-known Ukrainian (formerly Austro-Hngarian and Romanian) city you mention, I could find nothing. It's likely your spelling or pronunciaton of the town you seek is a bit off. We fouund my wife's mother's teen-age home in 1993(Miedzrych, Poland) and also her birth village (Domaechevo) in Belarus last year. Both towns were terminally destroyed in 1941-42, but were restored in recent years.
Bob, Sue..Contact me off board if you wish..perhas I can be of more definitive help once I know more about the background of your emigrating family. There are an amzaing number of clues that can be found that way.

Stuart Tower (L.A.) [email protected]
Mar 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Just ran this search...no match:

http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/w...~shtetlmaster2
Mar 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM

bob_susan
you piqued my curiosity and I found several possible references that may help. Keep in mind that Czernovitz can have several different spellings in English. There are 3 towns in the present Czech Republic spelled Cernovice that would be pronounced something like Chernovich. In turn, there is reference to a Chernovich Ghetto in the '40s in Romania - shifting borders may well show it to be or have been in different countries. A good example is Lvov/Lviv. When my mother lived there as a girl it was part of Austria-Hungary. Soon after she left it was part of Poland. Today it is in the Ukraine. In the history of the Maccabee sports movement, there is an early reference to Chernovich as the site of an early Maccabee club and lists it as being in the Ukraine. Of particular interest, I came across the following written by Avraham Kogan, who in other writings tells of the Chernovich Ghetto where he was as a boy:

Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:07:56 +0300
To: CARLOS HECKER
Reply-to: "A. Kogan"

Dear Mr. Hecker,
A year ago I went to Czernowitz via Lwow for our 2006 Czernowitzer Reunion.
We were some 35-40 people and had arranged for a bus to wait for us at the
Lwow (Lviv) airport and take us to Cz. As in general in Ukraine, the road is
not good and it takes some 6- 6-1/2 hours to get there. Many of our
Czernowitzer friends came to the Reunion via Bucharest - Suceava. To go to
Suceava by train it takes some 6 hours by the Inter-City high speed trains.
From Suceava one has to take a taxi or minibus. Don't expect to get a good
or comfortable car the road conditions (although it is only about 45 km.
away) are very similar to those from Lviv.

Regarding flights to Odessa - the information I have as at May 2006 is that
you have to fly to Kiev and there change planes. The planes that Ukrainian
Airlines operates from the small Cz. airport are rather small Antonov planes
and people don't like to fly with them. I am not sure whether it is a
matter of safety or weather conditions.

I hope it helps and wish you a pleasant trip.
Regards, A. Kogan

And, I hope this helps you as well.
Mar 12th, 2011, 11:09 PM

BTW, there is an old joke relevant to the above about a fellow from Lvov being asked how he felt about it changing from being part of Poland to part of the Ukraine. He said it is wonderful because he couldn't stand the Polish winters.
Mar 13th, 2011, 07:27 AM

EUREKA....finally hunted it down...this could probably be it..there are at last three in Czech...one in the Moravian region, and two in Bohemia..all part of the vast Austro-Hungarian Empire before Czechoslovakia became a sovereign nation after WW I. My guess is either the one next door to Brno, or the one about 20 kms SE of Tabor. I've been to both Brno and Tabor. When they were in the A-H it was probably pronounced with the German Czernovitz...when Czecholovakia became indepdent, they used the Bohemian or Moravia pronunciation and spelling...Cernovice.
Go get 'em!

Stu Tower

http://www.maplandia.com/czech-repub...kov/cernovice/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8Ce...9imov_District)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...abora_Lewy.PNG
Mar 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM

Basing...looks like we were on the same trail...but remember,Bob and Susan said it's defnitely not the large and famous Czernow(v)itz which was part of the Empire, then part of Romania. I would say it's one of the small villages above..How things going up there in Md.? Funny joke about Lvov. Like the one where a grandma in the US when asked to tell her granndchildren something about the Russia where she grew up....her answer: COLD!

Branko is on it's way...should be released later this year.

Best

Stu
Mar 13th, 2011, 11:53 AM

If it's near Tabor, I recommend the Black Lily pension.
http://www.hotelsprague.cz/tabor/cer...n/leknin_e.php