Search

Cyprus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyprus

We are goiong to Cyprus in July, as a 3 day stop over from Malta to Australia. Is it worth staying in Larnaca ( as we arrive at that airport) or Limassol for these days, and is it worth the travelling if we go to Limassol, as I know it is about 75km/45miles away. Appreciate any info. Doeas anyone know if and what transport from the airport to Limassol is available?
Thanks
Pachet
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM

I spent 6 days in Cyprus last September based in Limassol.
We were at the Holiday Inn - a lovely place (beach was just ok though - pool was better). I liked it because we could take the bus into town to explore. We spent one day in the mountains guided by a wonderful British gent and another day exploring the western part of the island (I forgot the names of the towns - I need to check my notes and let you know).

I got the first guide on my own before leaving the states and the 2nd guide through the hotel.

As for transportation to and from the airport - no problem.
I remember going on the internet to find a transfer from the airport to the hotel. But the hotel all could have arranged one. Besides, I'm sure there are taxis.

I did not spend any time in Larnaca so I can't voice an opinion.

It was very hot in September and I would imagine it would be the same in July. The food was very good - had a wonderful mezze dinner at La Mer (I will double check the name of this restaurant for you also, if you are interested).
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 12:27 PM

We stayed (many years ago) in Limassol, and took day trips to Nicosia (the capital, very nice old town), Paphos (port, beautiful mosaics), Ayia Napa (beaches, vacation resort for young people) and an evening in Trodos Mountains.
It was a nice vacation. Our package included transportation to hotel, so we did not take taxi from airport.
However, we took taxis from hotel to some restaurants, and I remember that it is not a problem to find a taxi.
Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM

Of course it's no problem to find taxis in Cyprus - intercity taxi services are also available which are run on a scheduled service. The 75km to Limassol is not a long journey as the road is very good. Whether to stay in Limassol or not depends on interests; the beaches are not brilliant and parts of the tourist strip are tacky & noisy but there are some very good standard hotels on the outskirts. But as it is central you can get to Paphos easily to see the castle/mosaics etc or to the wine willages of the Limassol area.

Larnaca is a pleasant enough town with promenade and marina, probably better to stay east maybe in Ayia Napa (its not just for the young and the beach is lovely) or Protaras, somewhere around there but the main attraction here is the beach.

Renting a car is the best option however for a 3 day stay.

July in Cyprus is very hot, hotter than September, last year it was unusually cool in early September
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:21 AM

In the West of the island, the main resort is Paphos, quite near to the airport. It's a nice area, especially the nature reserve on the Akamas peninsula. Polis is up in the North and worth a trip.

Nicosia is a divided city with the Turkish/Greek border running through it. These days you can go through though. Transport and taxi links are plentiful across Cyprus and not madly expensive.