Cycle trip Germany

Mar 22nd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Cycle trip Germany

I am putting together a cycle trip in Germany this Sept for about a week. I am only a modest rider, no Alps for me, and was wondering what people thought were great routes to take. I've been on the cycle website for Germany and find it very helpful but was curious if anyone had any first hand advice. Thanks
Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:29 PM

We saw a lot of folks cycling along the Mosel River. Seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:54 PM

Cycle the main rivers and their tributaries and you can't go wrong.

Main, Neckar, Moselle, Danube, Lahn, Nahe, Isar .....

Plus there are several major canal systems such as the Main-Danube Canal.

Harzer
Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:03 PM

hi there,
a nice one in the south is the "Donau-Schwarzmeer-Route", leads You from the Black forest to the Black Sea (sorry, cant find the english name in the dictionary). It's a very moderate tour and it well "organized", so You find restaurants, beergardens and bike-friendly accomodations all allong the way. For one week, You can choose for ex Black forest to Ulm, or Ulm to Passau. Both gives You very nice landscape and nature, small villages and a few culturell highlights.

have fun
Gar
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:09 AM

In addition to the choices listed, we highly recommend cycling in the countryside south of Muenster, where we did some cycling last year (we were living about 40 minutes south of the area). It's very pretty, off the usual tourist radar, and there are bike paths galore along most of the roads and the canals. You will cycle past/through farms, small villages, castles, etc. Among the villages/small towns are Luedinghausen, Nordkirche, Senden, etc.
September will be a beautiful month to cycle there. The people were very friendly everywhere we stopped and the area is set up to handle cyclists. The terrain is mostly flat, with only some slight hills. Little guesthouses abound. The area will give you a warm welcome.
Muenster itself is a great place to visit, with an attractive old town.
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:31 AM

P.S. Quebec, if you like, we can scan and email you some of the photos from the cycling area in Muensterland...just give us an email address.
If you look at a German road atlas, first find the Essen/Bochum/Dortmund area. Then look a little north, finding route 58 in the countryside between the A43 and A1 autobahns; i.e., route 58 and 235 and also along the Ems Kanal.
The only downside is that I don't think it would be a full week of cycling, more like 3 days. Would you be interested in cycling two different regions? Also, will you be bringing your own bike or renting?
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:45 AM

A friend of mine did the route from Passau to Vienna (part of the Danube-Black Sea route?) last summer and really enjoyed it. I believe they averaged around 40 km/day over 4-5 days and said the ride was quite easy in terms of hills, etc. In fact, they ran into many groups of older people doing the same. They also had no problems finding places to stay and places to eat for the trip.

I've also done some cycling along the Lahn (basically between Marburg and Giessen and then canoeing further downstream) and while it's a nice route, I don't know that it would that dramatic or exciting. I also don't think it's as built up for longer trips as people more commonly go out for only a day.

Enjoy your trip,
Paul
Mar 24th, 2004, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info. It looks like there is a lot to choose from. Ideally, I would fly into FRA and try to stay around that area as so save cost from trains. Btilke- I would love any photos you have. My email is [email protected].

Danke
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:30 AM

And don't forget that as bicyclists you are entitled to drink as many Radlers (beer mixed with lemon-lime soda) as you care to.
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:38 AM

We have done 3 self-guided bike tours in Germany, the Romantic Road from Heidelberg to Fussen, the Rhine-Mosel tour from Titisee in the Black Forest to Trier and northern Germany from Husum to Lubeck with a side trip to Sylt. To date our favorite was the Rhine-Mosel. This year we're doing the Baltic Coast, from Rugen to Usedom.
Mar 24th, 2004, 08:40 AM

Forgot to add, last year we cycled the Bodensee (Lake Constance) area and into Switzerland.
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:32 AM
hsv

Although I thoroughly sympathize with RufusTFirefly's perception that as a bicyclist you can drink as many "Radlers" or "Alsterwasser" (the same, but different name in the North) as you wish, I have to utter some disagreement ;-)
Whether you are a bicyclist (i.e. Radler) or a car driver is legally irrelevant. The max. drinking limit for any person driving a vehicle of any sort on public roads and thus participating in traffic is 0.5 %o of blood alcohol concentration.
I will admit that this is hardly ever enforced by the Police, I just wanted to bring your attention to this ... and now I am gonna stop the wise cracking and help myself to a stiff after dinner drink
Cheers
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:36 AM
hsv

To be a bit more constructive on your former inquiry:

I have heard people rave about biking in the NorthEast German Bundesland (state) of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. There are a lot of lakes there plus the Baltic Coast. It isn't as hilly as the Alps and might therefore be more relaxing. But I suppose during September in general you have a chance of better weather a bit further South, although those late Summer days can be pretty beautiful in the North, too.
Mar 24th, 2004, 03:56 PM

hsv--I'm afraid you are laboring under a misconception about beer. Two years ago, we met our German friend, Toni, in a town on the Mosel. He showed us around for a while and then we stopped for lunch. He was drinking beer, while Mrs. Fly and I drank wine.

I ordered a second glass of wine, and Toni cautioned me that I should be careful because of the drunk driving laws. When I pointed out that he was already on his third beer and I hadn't even started my second glass of wine, he looked surprised at my comment and stated that beer is not a problem--it is different from other alcoholic beverages.

So Radlers should be fine. (Tongue in cheek)
Apr 25th, 2004, 09:00 PM

I have taken three cycling trips to Germany (1974-1987). My favorite is the Romantic Road. When I took it in 1974 with my brother, we cycled the entire length on the road and had no trouble with cars. In 1987 I went back with my wife and cycled the area around Rothenburg. Most of the Romantic Road can now be traveled on separate bike path. (You will find a few cars and tractors as these are the paths used by farmers to get to their fields.

I have also cycled along the Rhine, Mosel and Lahn RIvers - all very nice. Traffic was never a problem with me.

When there in 1987, there was a series of maps which showed the best roads for cycling as they were rated byt he amount of traffic on them. Probalbly not avaialbe in the US, but I would check when you get to Germany.