Reload this Page >

Customs dept. at Dublin airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:13 AM
Debby

The first is...will I be hassled by custom officials if I bring two bottles of whiskey into Ireland?<BR><BR>The last one is...if I only have carry on luggage, don't I get to skip a visit to customs and go directly to my connecting flight gate?<BR><BR>I've never been able to control myself enough to pack light, but I'm planning on making this trip an exception. ESPECIALLY if I get to skip the hassle of going through customs.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help.<BR>

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:22 AM
Patrick

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I'm trying to figure out the reason for carrying whiskey INTO Ireland.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:31 AM
Charles

Debby<BR>Well I also wonder why you would carry whiskey into Ireland, but to each their own. We just returned from Ireland, and we flew into Dublin from Edinburgh. We found customs and passport control to be pretty easy. Just walked through. In fact, the passport control point officer just smiled and said "come on through folks no need to stop" but we did stop as we wanted to get an Irish stamp in our passports. <BR><BR>One thing interesting is that when you leave Ireland to return to states, you clear US immigration there...US Immigration officers are posted in Dublin airport and stamp your passport etc, so that when you get to states you just have to claim your luggage and go through customs. No lines at passport control at all to contend with. I knew that US did that at Canadian airports but I did not know they did also in Ireland.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:33 AM
Debby

A friend has asked me to bring it to him because whiskey from the US carries such a hefty import fee if bought in Ireland. YHey, I was asked to do it...I'm just trying to comply with his wishes. But I'm also now sweating the consequences of bringing it to him.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:26 PM
mikey

You are officially allowed 1 liter per adult being brought in from ouside the EU

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:16 AM
garth

and even if you bring more, and if you are stopped (better declare it on the customs card to be safe), worse thing that will happen is that you will have to pay taxes on it. It is not like you are breaking the law, unless you of course fail to declare it and then happen to get stopped and searched...then they might frown on your actions. Just delcare it and chances you will not even be asked a question.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 09:17 PM
xxxxx

Fancy liking American whisky better than the beautiful smooth Irish version!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Siobhan

Dublin airport is the easiest customs and security I have been through in Europe. I find is shocking that I just walk through every time noo question and little security presence. As for the whiskey bring what you can carry they wont take it off you. I did the opposite going to the USA and bought far more than I was allowed as everyone is always asking for whiskey and guinness. I asked the checkout girl and she said as long as they dont see it they wont take it. I spread it out between carryon bags and US immigration in NY checked the dutyfree bags but not the other carry on.<BR><BR>Overalll I seriously doubt they will take from you so go for it.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Ann

Unless you bring a live horse covered in dollar bills and gold boullion through customs in Dublin, you will not be stopped. Early in the morning, they usually don't even have anyone manning customs. If there was ever a place where you could smuggle stuff into Europe easily, it's Dublin.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Colleen

We're US citizens, and will be flying first to London (Northwest to Gatwick), a few days later to Dublin (Aer Lingus), and on the return from Dublin we have to collect our bags at Gatwick and switch to the flight to the US. I'm a little confused about the customs requirements regarding the London/Dublin & Dublin/London flights. Thanks for your replies.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Lynn

Colleen, you won't go through customs on London-Dublin routes, as the UK and Ireland are both EU countries. So when you arrive in London, you'll go through customs there. Then you'll go through again when you get back to the US.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 01:14 PM
xxx

It doesn't matter whether you bring just a carryon or not. If you have to go through customs, you have to go through customs. If you don't, you don't.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 05:12 AM
anon

The reason why the gut in Dublin is that the United Kingdom (Britain) (england,wales,scotland Northern Ireland) and the Republic of Ireland is a Common travel area and once inside the Commontravel area you don't need to have a Passport to travel to and from the UK and the ROI