Currency for turkey

Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:21 AM
Johnny Ryan

Currency for turkey

What currency should I bring with me to Turkey. I cannot get Turkish Lire anywhere.

Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:28 AM
Ursula

Bring US Dollars. If you are European, you can also bring European currencies such as German Mark, Swiss Francs or another strong currency. You will soon be a millionaire with Turkish Lira.
Enjoy Turkey!

Jul 3rd, 2001, 02:16 AM
b

I never heard about any country selling TL. Bring your own currency. Value grows each hour. Best thing to bring is your card. In Istanbul cash dispensers were easy to find.
Bjorn, Oslo

Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:59 AM
Debbi

I agree with the US dollars but would add to bring about or at least 50-100 USA dollars in singles.They are great for tipping,leaving for maids or bargaining in Grand Bazaar area,etc.They are very well received!

Jul 3rd, 2001, 07:04 AM
Tom

you don't say where you are from but we are in England and have had no problem getting Turkish currency. We decided to take some Turkish currency as our exchange rate is brilliant just now and we didn't want to risk losing out, although most of our spending money is in Travellers Cheques (pounds) for safety reasons.

Jul 11th, 2001, 05:24 AM
carol

Bring a debit card and a day's worth of US$. You can usually get up to TL100M at a bank machine, and there are lots of them, even in smaller centres. We went in May, and were unable to buy TL in Canada since the exchange is so volatile due to inflation there. We brought the debit card (the less popular plus system) and some travellers' cheques in Canadian$, thinking we might get away with an old scam - some people see American Express and assume it is American $ and we Canadians get a better rate - but the Turks are so wise to currency that nothing but US$ or Euros will do. We wound up exchanging our Canadian travellers' cheques for US$, with high commissions and service fees. Warning that Turks will try to charge you between 3 and 9% for use of a credit card. That is the norm there.

Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:31 PM
Nancy

I would not exchange your currency but if you do, do it at a doviz. Those are local currency exchanges you will find all over, from the Grand Bazaar to the streets. Be sure to compare exchange rates as they will vary. also check to see that there is no commission. It is still best to carry lots of ones and use your ATM or credit card. Our ATM did not work in some of the smaller towns, but it was fine in Istanbul and Kusadasi.