Cupola Rome Questions

Feb 6th, 2001, 06:37 AM
WH

Cupola Rome Questions

I've read many postings on this area and have learned a tremendous amount, but I have two questions which haven't been addressed (that I know of). Firstly, Where is Baggage Claim in the Rome airport? Is it like most U.S. airports, where you have to go down the escalator and wait by a revolving metal rack? I ask because I must check baggage on my upcoming Rome trip, and I'm concerned about luggage theft in the airport. Is that a concern? Is it easy to find Baggage Claim at the airport?

Secondly, what denominations does Lira come in for both bills and change? I'm clear on how I'll get my money (ATMs), and how much, and in what form (Cash vs. TCs) I'll carry it, but I'm not sure of the denominations.

As always, all of your knowledgable assistance is appreciated.

Feb 6th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Ed

Baggage claim is between Immigration and Customs. Good signage. As well you can just follow the crowds. (Hoping that most of them are not connecting on a flight to East Djibouti.) Same carousels as in the US. Theft is a problem at >all< airport baggage claims ... which is the reason some airports match the tags on your luggage against your stubs as you exit. (Rome is not one of these.)

Haven't used an ATM in Rome in a while so have forgotten what's doled out. Expect large bills, though.

Ed

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Santa Chiara

Lire comes out of the ATM machine in either 50,000 or 100,000. You can select up to 500,000 lire at a time.

Eyewitness guides has a section on money with photos.

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:07 AM
WH

Thank you, Ed! However, my currency question (which was probably ambiguously stated) concerned what denominations Lira come in, i.e. as compared to the U.S. having $20-10-5-1 bills, quarters, dimes, nickels and pennies.

Also, regarding picking up my luggage from Baggage Claim at the Rome airport, should I be sweating this, or, as typically happens, does the luggage not start flowing until well after you've arrived at the racks? Should I be putting my head down and charging like a running back to get to the claim area to prevent someone stealing my luggage?

Feb 6th, 2001, 08:02 AM
Ed

Don't sweat it! With the usual lines at Immigration a dash is usually pretty hard to execute. You'll find, more than likely, that you'll get to the carousel more quickly than your baggage. Far more quickly. Speedy baggage delivery is not common in Rome.

I'll probably miss a coin or bill here as I have no samples at hand but the 200 and 500 lire coins will be the most common. Some 100s and perhaps a few 50s. You'll rarely see the 20, 10, 5 or 1. (I do have a few of those from years ago.)

Bills run 1 X 1000, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100. I don't recall a 200,000 but there must be one. There used to be 500s but they've been gone for years.

Ed

Feb 6th, 2001, 08:10 AM
WH

Thanks again, Ed. I've just been hanging out at twenj.com, and it's a great site!