Crying Babies on International Flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is an approach!<BR><BR>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...spiked_juice_5
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:12 PM

Ha! I just read that! What an awful thing it could have been! How clever of the mom to take the juice to the lab.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:28 PM

If your kid flies on British Air and cries because they don't wanna buckle up for takeoff/landing, he/she will be kicked off.<BR>http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...267904,00.html
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:31 PM

I think they should be required to swim across the ocean. Just put those little floaties on their arms, give them a push, and awaaay they go! Weee!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:09 PM

Gosh, what an experience when the crying baby isn't your own. Although it is a cruel joke, I had to laugh on one transatlantic flight when there was a baby screaming so loud it drowned out every other sound on the plane---then suddenly, out of somewhere behind me, there was a loud, gruff man's voice, shouting &quot;Somebody shoot that kid.&quot;
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:02 PM

Back in the 50s and 60s, it wasn't uncommon for parents to dose their children with phenobarital to keep them quiet on long trips. But with some children it backfired and made them hyper instead.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 05:26 PM

The poor kid's misery is a WHOLE bunch more than the sum of the adults' discomfort or other whining on the plane. The child is screaming because their ears (ie. head hurts, alot!) I read a remedy involving a cup and steaming napkin on this forum many years ago. I almost understand the juice plan. But it's a finite trip, one will arrive at an airport sometime. Those poor kids don't have a clue, choice or options for addressing their pain. I think it's time for adults to stand up FOR, not TO kids. Kids' ears and heads hurt and then they cry... so what's the problem. Heck they should find a whole plane full of folks waiting to make them happy! Eegads there's a thought
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:06 PM

I hope that flight attendant is prosecuted to the hilt. Who knows what the consequences of giving Xanac to an infant might be? Having spent years traveling overseas with infants and small children I appreciate the fact that flight attendants and passengers may be upset by babies who make noise during a flight, but even though my own kids are teenagers now who never bother passengers I am mindful of the days when they were infants and I was taveling - often alone- with them. My husband spent one flight from DC to Rome with my then two-year-old daughter at the back of the plane doing exercises and generally keeping her from bothering passengers because she was sick and hyper. I do have a deep sympathy for parents with small children traveling on overseas flights. It's not easy, and often it's a mother with a kid or two who's responsible for the family without dad around. That tugs at my heartstrings.<BR>Parents with babies have every right to be on board an airplane, just as they have every right to be on board a train or bus or metro. I can't stand people who think they have exclusive rights to public transportation and should be inured from babies and infants. Babies and infants are the next members of our society - deal with their discomfort during airplane flights. If you are so important and your reason for flying overseas is so pressing, spring for a business class seat where you won't have to deal with the issue of babies.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:15 PM

My god, just put some gin in your baby's bottle. I was weened on the stuff and I turned out O.K. Like mother's milk.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:22 PM

Once when I was in my early twenties and traveling alone, there was a young mother with a fussy baby on the plane. I thought nothing of volunteering to bounce the baby and generally lend a hand to keep the baby happy and the mom from falling apart. Add to the stress of travel, a fussy baby, lots of disapproving looks and remarks, and the general unpleasantness of flying-it is a wonder anyone goes anywhere with their kids until the kiddies are grown! <BR>I was always lucky, my children fell asleep the minute the plane took off. They have traveled since tiny infants, and are world travelers now. I wonder if they might have turned out differently if they had been left at home whenever I traveled.<BR>I was 10 days old the first time I flew. From what I hear, I behaved and lived to fly again
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:23 PM

What bothers me is that she still had the juice after 10 days!!!!!!! She carried it off the plane and stored it for 10 days???? <BR><BR>Sounds a LITTLE fishy to me!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:34 PM

You know, Jody, it sounds very incredulous to me, also. This mother is probably looking for a HUGE payoff from a civil suit. If I were a flight attendant, I would NEVER share my Xanax with anyone, let alone a baby who would not appreciate it.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:36 PM

Right TG!<BR><BR>I can hardly remember to carry my purse off the plane let alone leftover juice!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:36 PM

<BR>jody, that is what my husband said. I thought about what I would do, I wouldn't ask the flight attendant, what is this is the bottle? He would say nothing and throw it away. I would hang on to it. Was she on the way to her trip or home? I would hold on to it until I could take it somewhere to be tested, which would be where I lived. She said it was bitter too. She must have been suspicious enough that she wanted to be sure to prove it if there was something in that bottle. <BR>Besides, the flight attendant had a bag of hundreds of pills?<BR>
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:41 PM

<BR>You know what is really annoying? How many times have you flown and you would have paid for a pill to relax you? I can never find anyone that has a tranquilizer when I need one!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 06:53 PM

Scarlett, you need to sit next to me on a plane. Like American Express, I never leave home without my meds. That is the tragedy of 9/11. Now you are searched and authorities demand to see your prescriptions. The good old days of driving up to 125th St. and scoring some tabs and then cabbing it to JFK for your flight on the Concorde are over. Sigh.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

John, Are you going to tell us you take the Concord, at $12,000 a shot?!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:02 PM

John, I will remember that next trip I take<BR>Thanks for reminding me though, I do need to keep my pills in their own little bottles these days don't I?<BR>No more keeping them in pretty little pill boxes?
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:15 PM

Yes, I have taken the Concorde on numerous occasions, but I did not pay for it, my employer did. Actually, the Concorde is not as nice as first class on Air France, but it is faster.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Peel me a grape!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -