Reload this Page >

cruising greek islands-too many choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 01:00 PM
marina

We are planning to cruise Greek Islands in October and I found too many cruise companies with different offers and prices, some too high some strangely low. Please help with your advices. thanks beforehand.

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Andy

Marina- the cheaper cruises are your 3-4 days cruises- on older ships-strictly for touring and not at all like ships you're used to going on from USA. <BR>The 7 day cruises give . <BR>you 1 day in each island-are better ships and more expensiveThe mon-fri.cruises give you less time in islands and usually get in 2 island in 1 day. What type of cruise are you looking for?

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 06:23 AM
Lynda

This is timely. We are planning our first cruise, and are leaning towards the Greek Islands. Someone suggested the Royal Olympic Cruise Line, and we have also been told that fares are very cheap right now on all cruise lines. <BR>We like our creature comforts, and I wouldn't mind a newer ship! Any advice would be apprediated... Thanks!

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:19 AM
imgoing

Check out the cruise forum -- good info on Royal Olympic Voyager, etc. Also check posts for other web addresses.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 07:26 PM
Lynda

Thank You!

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:37 PM
Marilou

You might want to check out the Renaissance cruise - we went on their cruise from Athens to Rome in March and enjoyed it very much. It was a new ship - built last year and we enjoyed it especially because it had open seating - you could eat whenever you wanted and did not have any formal nights - also at that time it was a no smoking ship and no children under 18! And, cost of cruise was quite reasonable.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 07:40 PM
Andy

Royal Olympic cruises is a bare bones cruise line compared to something you may be used to in US and Carib--it's 3-4 day cruise hit 2 islands a day--don't plan on good cabin or great food--you only go for the islands themselves...In my opinion, if you are flying over for a greek island cruise--go for a 7 day cruise where you have a full day in each island--try Windstar cruise from Istanbul to Athens--I looked at them for myself last week and they were having a great 2 for 1 sale---I was looking at a Sept. sailing--but go on the net and see what they have--it is an elegant casual cruise line-wont't need coat and tie- food is fab-ships are great--just got off Windsurf fron Rome to Nice and loved every minute of it.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Marilou

I forgot to mention in my last post that you may not realize that there is a 'cruising' section of Frommers that would probably answer more of your questions than the general 'Europe' category. Also, before we went on our cruise, I found several other cruise forums that were helpful. I've already deleted them from my 'favorites' or I would give them to you - unfortunately, I can't remember any except one may have been called cruisecritic.com - maybe someone else can help on this. Or just do a search.