Cruising from Barcelona

Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:36 PM
rob

Cruising from Barcelona

Hi

I'm a little worried... my flight arrives in Barcelona at 2:45 pm and my Royal Caribbean Cruise sails at 7 pm. Is this schedule too tight? How far is the dock from the airport and how much should I pay for a cab? My girlfriend is graduating medical school, and this is our celebration trip. I don't want it to be ruined by us missing the boat. Thanks for your help!

Rob

Apr 23rd, 2001, 01:45 PM
JP

That's cutting it pretty close even if the flight is on time. If it's a transatlantic flight, it could well be many hours late.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:10 PM
mark

Rob -
Went to Barcelona last October - it's maybe at tops, a 30 minute ride from airport to the Ramblas - take a cab. It cost about $30-$40 dollars for two. You have 5 and half hours - no problem. If you need extra assurance - call Royal Carribean to see if they can arrange a car service. Drop your bags off at the boat and then you and your girlfriend can walk to a cafe on the Ramblas to have a drink (just watch out for pickpockets and scams) Enjoy the cruise.

Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:12 PM
mark

Sorry - it's late, my brain is fryed - that 4 hours and 15 minutes - still more than enough time - even with my bad arithmetic (now let's see, the big hand is on the.......)

Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:20 PM
Linda

Check in the literature you got about your cruise or call Royal Caribbean. RC has a transfer service. They will meet you at the airport and provide transportation to the ship. When they meet you, you turn over your bags and they are delivered right to your stateroom--you don't have to worry about them at all after you clear customs. It costs a bit, usually about $50, but is well worth it. You don't have to worry that you get a certified/licensed cab; you don't have to worry about your luggage; you don't have to worry that your cab is going the shortest way or knows precisely where your ship is docked; you don't have to pay for the taxi. I have found that this service is one of the best things I do for myself when I book a cruise.

Apr 24th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Rob

Thanks for your advice. Actually, we go from jfk to frankfurt, have a two hour layover, and then from frankfurt to barcelona. is it possible to fly standby when you're checking luggage? also the RC transfer service is only for those whose flights arrive before noon, so i'll have to take a cab. do most of the cab drivers speak english?

Feb 1st, 2002, 06:26 AM
Melinda

Hi Rob,

I am taking the same cruise for my honeymoon in July 2002. I wanted some feedback on the criuse,flight and any advice you may have about your trip. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Feb 1st, 2002, 06:55 AM
HELEN

TAKING RCCL CRUISE OUT OF BARCELONA LATE APRIL AND ARRIVING BARCELONA TWO DAYS EARLY. DON'T WANT TO DAMPEN YOUR TRIP BUT ALL I CAN THINK OF IS (IN THIS DAY AND AGE) HORRIBLE DELAYS EXPERIENCED IN SAN FRANCISCO THE OTHER DAY!! ONE CAN NEVER ANTICIPATE PROBLEMS AND DELAYS. PERSONALLY I THINK 4 HOURS--EVEN SAME DAY FLIGHT IS PUSHING ONE'S LUCK. TALK TO YOUR CARRIER--YOU HAVE ENOUGH ADVANCE NOTICE AND SEE IF YOU CAN FLY IN A DAY EARLIER WITH LITTLE OR NO PENALTY. GOOD LUCK! H

Feb 6th, 2002, 07:30 PM
anna

we've been advised by our agent to fly into barcelona (from canada) a day earlier..cause you never know with connecting flights, delays, etc...so we're flying in a day earlier; might as well take advantage of spending a day in barcelona while we're there.

we've been told by celebrity cruise line that the airport is about 30min to the dock.

does anyone know how long it takes to get off the ship once it docks back in barcelona?...are ships ever late in their scheduled time of docking?..this is for celebrity cruise lines(ours is suppose to dock at 8:30am)...we're concerned how much of a lag period we should book our return flight at home at?

Feb 6th, 2002, 07:35 PM
anna

has anyone ever taken the celebrity meditterean (7days - nice, rome, naples, malta)?..was it good? any recommendations on which tours to take at those stops (most affordable but enjoyable)?

we're planning on spending a day in barcelona before the cruise: any recommendations on hotels, where to go to maximize our time?..

Feb 7th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Doug Weller

This sounds a very bad plan. You could very easily miss the Frankfurt connection, you haven't left enough time for any delay at all it seems to me. It's all too easy for something to go wrong.

Doug