Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cruise (not ferry) from Athens to Istanbul?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 06:56 PM
Lois

Dreaming of a May vacation that starts in Athens, cruises or sails to perhaps Mykonos or Rhodes, Santorini, Kusadasi-Ephesus and ends in Istanbul. We're in our 60's so the ferries sound a little "rustic" for us; but we're low-key and not looking for an elegant cruise, just clean and safe! Any ideas? Any similar experiences? Thanks.

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 02:39 AM
Paulo

When planning for our trip to Greece and Turkey in summer 98, we looked into cruise options available at the time. There were two shipping companies (one of which I remember being Royal Olympic) offering cruises out from Athens AND RETURNING to Athens, stopping in Heraklion, Santorini, Rhodes, Patmos, Kusadasi-Ephesus, Istanbul and Mykonos, with 24 hours top in Istanbul. In principle, one could stop in Istanbul for a week and take the next cruise back to the Piraeus, stopping in Mykonos enroute. We didn't ask if there would be a discount if we just cut our cruise short in Istanbul. <BR> <BR>The only "one-way" cruise we found at the time was with Windstar cruises. This is a different kind of cruise, in a much smaller ship. <BR> <BR>We ended up deciding going on our own (a combination of ferry/flight/car rental). <BR> <BR>I just tried my old bookmarks and two of them are still in order. You may wish to give a look: <BR> <BR>http://www.windstarcruises.com/voyag...sles.jsp?ID=63 <BR> <BR>http://www.windstarcruises.com/voyag...sles.jsp?ID=66 <BR> <BR>http://www.RoyalOlympicCruises.com/G...ldenfleece.htm <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 05:32 AM
Jim

We took a 10 day Renaissance cruise 2 years ago from Athens to Istanbul. Very enjoyable and went to islands you mention in your post.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 05:10 PM
M&J

We enjoy our trips to Turkey and found Istanbul fascinating. We have not gone a cruise nor a ferry. But we will gladly share travel info for first timers to Istanbul. There is a cost, however. You must share your trip with us upon your return!

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 05:32 AM
Kris

We took a cruise with Orient Lines several years ago that started in Athens, went to Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos/Delos, Ephesus and Istanbul. We had a wonderful time. Orient Lines has a website at www.orientlines.com, it looks like they still offer a similar trip. <BR> <BR>Although I was more interested in the Greek Islands, I ended up enjoying the stops in Turkey more than the Greek Islands. Ephesus and Istanbul were magnificent. <BR> <BR>The cruise, at the time, struck me as being a bit more casual than Princess or RCL. I think they still had at least one formal night though.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 05:40 AM
Rel

My own recommendation, which we did this northern summer is Orient Lines, Crown Odyssey. Not too "glitzy" at all but absolutely fantastic at a very fair price. Try it, I'm sure you will be delighted.