Search

Cross Border Cards

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cross Border Cards

Hi!

I am kind of stumped. What are cross border cards? Economy car rentals has this additional service. We will be renting a car in Zaragoza, Spain and then driving into France for a few days before returning back to Spain and I was wondering if we need this card to cross the border. It costs about $62. I have never paid anything to cross a border.

Thanks.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM

It's to extend you insurance coverage i believe to include France and has nothing to do with any cost for crossing any border. I'm not positive but that's what i suspect. All cars rented should already have the Green Card, the pan-european proof of mandatory insurance needed to drive in European countries which is proof of third-party liability that all countries require.
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 12:50 PM
ira

Hi Joy,

Your car rental might not permit you to take the car outside Spain unless you pay the additional fee.

Read the fine print.

Better yet, ask before you give them any money.

Old Oct 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM

Yep that is what they mean they wish to charge you extra fro taking the car into a different country. Some hire companies do not charge.
Just a word of warming if the company is not international then if you breakdown or something in France you may find they will want to put the car on a back of a truck to bring it back to Spain. I once had guests here with a Portuguese car. It was cheap and they paid extra to come into Spain.The car broke down and they had to go in the truck for a 4 hour journey. Hence they lost a day
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM

not warming...warning..it is late here in Spain
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the explanation.

I checked the website of kemwel and novacarhire and they do not offer this extended insurance coverage. Should I call instead and ask about it or just assume that they do not charge extra for crossing the border??

It's really different policies for different countries isn't it? Last year, we got the car in Germany, and stayed in Austria pretty much the whole time and we never thought about getting extra insurance coverage.

Thanks again everybody.