Croatia-What to do with an extra day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are still planning for our trip to Croatia in late Sept. Our current plan is to spend 2 nights (1-1/2 days) in Zagreb,1 nt. in Plitvicka, 2 at Trogir (to include Split and Primosten), 2 on Hvar and 5 in the Dubrovnik area( 2 days of which we'll use to visit Montenegro if we can find a rental car we can take there).
My questions are:
1. We have one more day. Should we stay in Zagreb and take a daytrip to the Zagorje area(some combination of Zarazdin, Trakoscan, Veliki Tabor, etc.) or use it in central Dalmatia (Zadar, Sibenik or adding a day to Hvar)?
2. Our present plan is to take a car ferry from Split to Hvar(Stari Grad), then leave via the ferry from Sucuraj to Drvenik. Doing so we will miss driving most of the coast which everyone says is so beautiful. If anyone has done both,should we stay with our present plan or instead take a passenger ferry to/from Split/Hvar,then drive from Split to Dubrovnik?
3. Any other comments or suggestions?
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:33 AM

On the way down the Magistrala (the highway along the Croatian coast). There is a national park called Paklenica. It is close to Zadar but further north. You may want to check it out.

http://www.paklenica.hr/En/index_en.html

Pag is a beautiful Island.

http://otokpag.com/PAG/eng/index.htm
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 08:08 PM

I just returned from a 14 day trip through Croatia and it is fantastic! I will offer MHO.

I would cut one night off of Zagreb and head over to Rab Island and stay in Rab town for two nights. It is a great little town with plenty of beautiful sights. That would take care of the extra day.

If you absolutely have to stay in Zagreb for 2 nights, I would spend the extra day in Hvar, especially since you will have a car. The island is beautiful!

As for driving or ferrying to Dubrovnik, it is a toss up. We took the ferry from Hvar to Dub. but took the bus from Dub. to Split to catch the night ferry to Ancona.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 02:39 PM

We took a day trip to Montenegro from Dubrovnik, and that was the right amount of time for us. I would not want to spend a night there. There are several other interesting day trips from Dubrovnik. We used Atlas Tours but there are others. We also took the ferry from Dubrovnik to Cavat for a day, and if you enjoy walking and looking at beautiful views of the water, this is a nice day. Regarding Zagreb, we had one night and two full days. Probably could have done it with one night and one day. We loved Croatia; hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 10:20 PM

You could also take the ferry from Hvar to Dubrovnik and make a snap decision (you can see most of the town from the ferry) to get off and overnight in Korcula Town on the way. I'm sure you'll find a room.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:06 AM

Hvar is a fantastic place. We coudn't leave and spent 3 days there although we had only planned 1 or 2.
One thing you should know is the drive from the city of Hvar to the eastern end of the island is a "white knuckle" road stretching 90 KM. Be advised.

Take a look at my web page describing our trip to Croatia. Maybe it can help you.
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/57...ia/croatia.htm
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.