Croatia travel--June or September...and a stab at an itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

June and September seem to have similar enough weather, but to those of you have been, do you have a suggestion? 3/4 times I've been to Europe have been in September and each time was perfect. Obviously though this June is coming fast!

I plan to spend about 12 days and have read a Frommer's guide, many forum topics here and am still trying to make sense of all of this. At the moment I am looking at:
-Dubrovnik (no brainer)
-Hvar (Seems that there is a little of everything here-)
-Rovinj (most of what I read has been positive with one person saying it wasn't pretty)

I would like to find sandy beaches if it's possible, other areas of interest are Orebic, Baska/Krk, Zadar, and Brijuni islands. Are any of these worth spending a day or two in? I've looked into Brac,Pag, Vis but was not sold on these.

We are in our thirties and do want a bit of adventure mixed in with some downtime if we can get it!
Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 03:38 AM

we didnt book a lot of accommodation when we travelled in june 2006
there were sobje everywhere ( rooms, zimmer ) for about 25 euros a night back then

we would just go into the town and look for the tourist info bureau and someone would rustle us up a little studio apartment and there was never any drama

we did book our first night in plitvice though - in the park itself

we stayed in trogir and dubrovnik and then we hired a yacht and sailed to brac hvar and vis

hvar was nice
so was vis - a lot less touristy and kinda wild

we also managed to get to montenegro ( we had a rental car on the mainland) when we were staying in dubrovnik

i wish wed gone to mostar but it was a 3hr drive from dubrovnik and it was our last day before we had a day of travel back to split to pick up the yacht
but you cant see everything
having the car was great
so much freedom- even though you cant park within the walls of the old town there is always someone to help you find parking and explain how it all works

most speak great english and overall it is a beautiful friendly and clean country
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 07:16 AM

Both June and September are lovely but if you want beach time I would maybe do June. I would personally pick September but I am not a beach person - love the sea but hate sitting on the beach. I have been able to swim into October but many believe it is too cold. Not me!

There are so many must sees in Croatia. I would definitely do:

- Dubrovnik 3-4 nights with a daytrip to an island (Mljet is my personal favourite) or Lokrum
- Hvar and Korcula are both lovely
- Trogir (near Split) is a gorgeous little town that is sublime to wander (good for an overnight)
- Plitvice Lakes are stunning
- Istria is amazing - love the little hilltowns. Rovinj is very lovely - I would base there. Porec is nice, too.
- Have been to all the islands you mention. My favourites are Vis, Mljet, Rab and Lokrum (especially Vis and Mljet).
-Zadar is a nice town in which to spend a night - you can get to some islands from there as well.

The people are amazing, the culture intriquing, the scenery gobsmackingly beautiful and the history (ancient and recent) are remarkable. Oh, and the food is fabulous especially in Istria. If you decide on Istria truffle season begins at the end of the month - truffle hunting is very interesting and truffle dishes are featured on many menus.

You definitely do not need a car in the south or if you just want to go from Point A to Point B but I really recommend a car if you do spend time in Istria. There are many tiny gems you cannot access with public transportation.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 08:01 AM

Early June or early September would both be great, though even in early June the sea can be a little chilly for me. Forget about sandy beaches--those that are there are hard to get to and the pebble beaches are fantastic. Check out http://www.croatia-beaches.com/.
The best beaches I've seen were on Vis, so you might want to reconsider if you don't mind renting a scooter to get to them.
I don't know that I would travel up the entire coast to Rovinj from Dubrovnik, but it could be done. After 3 days in Dubrovnik and 3 days on Hvar (via ferry), you could visit Split and then head up to Plitvice, then go back down the coast on the mainland and do some white water rafting at Omis.
Or,look into kayak trips in the Kornati islands.
The small islands of Zadar are another place worth looking into, as is Paklenica mountains near Zadar.
Bottom line: too many options to list, but spend more time in fewer places to make the most of Croatia (think island time). good luck!
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:27 PM

travel2live2...

I've read your trip report from October 2006 - great report by the way - on the TTG website. But you only mention visiting Pag and Ugljan islands then.

I didn't think you'd been back to Croatia since, (didn't you go to Scotland the year after?) so when did you get to Vis and Mljet? Some friends of mine have spent a couple of weeks on Vis for the past 2 summers and I'd like to be able to pass on to them them your food and restaurant recommendations etc as you seem to find wonderful places.

And I am going back to Croatia in October - my 3rd visit! - and this time plan to go to Mljet - so can you tell me some more about what you think makes it so special?

Oh, and here is the link to travel2live2 (aka batraveler)'s trip report, it really is good especially the Istrian part and I'm sure people would benefit from the information therein. I think it was posted here originally but I can't find it...

http://europetogo.yuku.com/forum/viewtopic/id/500
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

SO Helpful, yorkshire and travel2live2, and lanejohann. I'm starting to think that my itinerary might be a little aggressive. I do want to enjoy it and not be constantly hopping from one stop to the next. I was looking forward to Rovinj. I can't imagine skipping it but it seems a bit cumbersome to get there from landing in Croatia and then it’s far away from the rest of the destinations. I found a ferry that goes from Pula to Zadar in 5 hours? Is this worth investigation to make it happen? (http://www.find-croatia.com/ferries-...adar-ferry.php)

I am not sure how to cut the trip to make it more sensible. I think it's the islands that I might stick to, Split and South so we can kayak and do some of the sporty stuff. If I only had a month...

A few more questions:
-Is it OK to skip Brac?
-IS Plitvice a must do (I hear that it is, need confirmation because it's kind of "out there") where to you recommend flying into to get there? If you have been to both Plitvice and Rovinj and had to only pick one to visit which would you pick?
-If I try to focus on Split and South -is it horrible to miss Trogir and Zadar?

Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM

If you decide to focus only on the south, do plan to stay in Trogir and visit Split to see the palace.
There is no contest between Plitvice and any other town in Croatia, it's Plitvice Lakes hands down. The lakes are magical, the views are breathtaking and no one should miss this phenomena.
Croatia is a destination which cannot be experienced with just one visit. This is a country which will drown you back again and again. Remember that Croatia has been "Europe's best kept secret" for many years. Americans have only discovered this hidden gem very recently.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 04:50 AM

To julia_t:

I had the same question to travel2live2. (See this thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-croatia.cfm)I don't think she had been to either Mljet or Vis, otherwise she could describe the islands more, other than saying its not resort-ish or they are "lush". That's why I am skeptical about her recommendation on these 2 islands. If we were talking about Istria, then I would certainly follow her advice because I believe she really visited this place.

yorkshire could give you a better insight on Vis, if you are planning to visit it.Basing on how travel2live2 gushes about Croatia, I think she had only been to the country once...the 2006 October trip, or else we would have heard another report after that.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 06:50 AM

This is very helpful as my husband and I are also beginning to plan a trip to Croatia/Dalmatian Coast in Sept for 3 weeks. The difference is that we will want to rent an apt. probably in Istria for a week then move to another area for a week, but not sure where we should locate for that one. We don't want to miss Plitvice and it sounds like we would need to be on the move for the coast part in order to see all the areas so that week we would probably be on the move an not in an apartment. Any advice would be welcome and if anyone has stayed in an apartment they would recommend we would surely appreciate knowing about it! We have done this many times in Europe so know about VRBO, etc. but know that personal recom. help. Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:04 AM

We are thinking the same thing Dionysius. In the thread you mention above she says she didn't visit those islands on their first trip. From everything I have read here and at www.travelerstogo.com I too think the October 2006 trip was the first and only one to date. Do you think it is curious there has been no reply to my questions?

I believe t2l2 is shortly going on a trip to Istria and Italy. I will look forward to reading more about Istria.

I'm not planning on going to Vis this coming trip, but my friends have now spent a total of 4 weeks on Vis and are spending another 2 there in July so I can get plenty of REAL information from them!
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM

julia: I think t2l2 underestimated the intelligence and resourcefulness of some Fodors posters. Just by cross referencing, you can discover posts from different websites by the same poster.(I found 2 more websites where she is posting when I was researching for my trip to Croatia).I just feel sorry for those who genuinely asked for advice about Mljet or Vis and were offered one based on what she had read on guide books and not from first-hand experience.

PS. I also looked at reports or posts from her about her earlier trip to Croatia and found NOTHING.If she is that "passionate" about the country, I'm sure we would have heard something prior to her trip in 2006.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM

<i> I also looked at reports or posts from her about her <b>earlier</b> trip to Croatia and found NOTHING.If she is that "passionate" about the country, I'm sure we would have heard something <b>prior</b> to her trip in 2006.</i>

Sorry: I meant <red>later</red> and <red>after</red>
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 02:55 AM

We are in total agreement Dionysius. I could say more but I think it inappropriate to continue to hijack this thread further.

However the point has been made and hopefully t2l2 will in future post with honesty and truthfulness based on first-hand experience rather than hearsay or what she has read.

As I have said before her writing is good and her descriptions evocative when she writes from personal experience.

I check into this Europe forum most days, and always read anything related to Croatia. I will be reading all future threads with interest. And if I can answer any questions from my own personal experiences of the country then I will.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Here's my take on Vis. There are two small towns, Vis and Komiza. I preferred staying in Vis because it felt more lively and had more restaurants, but it can be noisy in the morning because of the ferries. Riding into Komiza is a must, it is very beautiful. The views are stunning in every direction. We rented scooters and rode around the island, great views in every direction, lots of trees, some vineyards. You park on the side of the road and then follow trails until you get to the beaches, which are often quite secluded, although there was a litter problem, those were still some of the best beaches I have ever enjoyed.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:04 AM

Did you go to Bisevo to see the Blue Grotto? I've heard you can swim into it from the boat?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 01:28 PM

No, I was there in May and it was early in the season, so there weren't really any organized excursions happening, and it didn't really appeal--a bunch of people in a boat, gas fumes, and frigid water. But I am sure under the right conditions it could be wonderful. Riding on the back of a scooter was enough adventure for me, haha. At the tourist office, they'll tell you the best beaches and help with anything you want to do--I think there is another small cave or island they do excursions to as well.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

It seems like Vis would be a great place to visit for a night or two, but so does Brac, and Korcula. Any advice on choosing one?

Latest Take is:
Land in Zagreb, drive to Plitvice for next morning
Plit to Trogir for a night
3 Nights Hvar
1-2 Nights Vis, Korcula, Brac
3 nights Dubrov (day trip to Korcula? if its can't miss)
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 06:18 AM

With that schedule, I would head from Hvar to Korcula, then to Dubrovnik. That follows the ferry line and is convenient as well as a great itinerary. A lot depends on which month you pick--the ferry is not daily. Check the jadrolinija website for the main ferry (in June, there will be more options with other ferry operators).
Vis wins over Brac, but with Korcula it is a draw.
I would actually spend the least time in Dubrovnik,as magical as it is, the crowds are oppressive and it is really tiny. On the islands, I feel like there is more to explore nature-wise. That is, unless you had some day trips planned while in Dubrovnik (e.g., Kotor, Mostar). Korcula is too far for a day trip.
There is a once a week ferry between Hvar and Vis part of the year, but usually you must return to Split to travel to/from Vis. Hope that helps. Will you have a car the entire time, or just from Zagreb to Split/Trogir?
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 06:34 AM

Before you cram a schedule full of island and other stops, you need to look at the ferry schedule. The Jadrolinija boat from Dubrovnik north only sails twice a week in the shoulder season. There are other options but, for smaller crowds in the shoulder season, you sacrifice more frequent transportation connections. And the schedules are released relatively late, so it's hard to plan very far ahead.
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 08:58 AM

Hello! I am thrilled to find this forum. We are planning our first trip to Croatia. My travelling partner always has limited vacation time ( 2 weeks) so it is a whirlwind tour to say the least, including cramming a couple of nights in Venice near the end. Would you mind taking a look at our itinerary and see if anything sticks out? We like having a car ( he loves to drive) so we don't mind having it even in towns we know we won't use it that often - it gives us that freedom to explore. So here goes: June 12, 13 & 14 DUBROVNIK. ( We arrive very late on the 12th so it's really just two full days) On to Hvar for 15, 16 & 17. Side trips from here? Vis sounds nice...Hotels seems VERY VERY $$$. Wondering if they will come down a bit with this bad travel season forecast? We like the looks of the Amphora but again, are hoping for a rate drop! I am thinking we will just wing it. One issue is that my friend is a bit picky. He travels a lot and stays in 4 star hotels for business which makes him a little hard to please! :- )
I am poorer but more easy-going about it -still it's nice to find a bargain. We would like a pool if possible in Hvar - we're traveling with my teenager! Next it's on to Trogir and Split. Thinking we will stay in Trogir and take a day-trip to Split. Have this booked already for June 18 & 19 - 2 nights. On to Plitvice for 2 nights in our car. Is this a hard trip? - it looks like 3 hours, is that right? Don't know where to stay in Plitvice so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Final leg of trip is to Rovinj & Istria. We'll be driving this from Plitvice which looks to be about 100 miles of 2 & 3 lane roads. Is this correct? We have driven a lot in Greece and Turkey so I assuming it is similar. Also shocked about the pricey hotels in Rovinj but will probably go with something like the Istra or the Park and try to get it last minute. We will leave Croatia for Venice by ferry on June 25th. Does the ferry that leaves from Porec stop at Rovinj? I am having a devil of a time figuring out the ferry schedule thing. Am hoping by June there will be some choices...Sorry for the long post. Would love to get help from anyone who's been...Thanks in advance!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -