Croatia Restaurant Recommendations

Apr 5th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Croatia Restaurant Recommendations

I'm looking for restaurant recommendations in the following cities: Dubrovnik, Korcula, Hvar and Split. My husband and I love food and will pretty much try anything. Would love to hear what everyone recommends. Thx!
May 13th, 2013, 05:38 AM

Hi,

I can give you the recommendation for restaurant in Dubrovnik. It's called ''Teatar'' and it's positioned in the street called Ive Vojnovića. I have no internet adress to show you, but trust me, food is great and prices are reasonable.

Few kilometers away from the old town, there is little place called Mlini, where hotel complex is situated. You have few restaurants there, wheater you like fish or meat, you'll be satisfied. There is a internet site, so you can check out photos and place: http://www.dubrovnik-riviera-hotels.hr/en

With other cities I have no experience, so hope you'll have a nice time and a good food.
May 13th, 2013, 08:11 AM

Here's some restaurants we liked:

Dubrovnik: Konoba Ekvinocijo, Ilije Sarake 8, by the city wall near the Buza Bar entrance

(By the way, do you know of the Buza Bar, perched on the rocks outside the wall? We had a memorable drink watching the sunset.)

Korcula town: Adio Mare, Ul Marco Polo. Supposedly dinner only but was open for lunch when we were there.

Split: just a warning. We had lunch at a restaurant along the esplanade northwest of Diocletian's Palace. They were pushing the calamari, which my husband loves. He got food poisoning that night.
May 13th, 2013, 08:20 AM

Food is generally excellent and cheap in Croatia, the pizza maybe the best anywhere for thin crust, but you have to beware when ordering fish that the price on the menu is for a weight, not a piece or serving, so it may cost a lot more Han you expect.

All the calamari I ate was delicious, but I wouldn't eat fish anywhere on Sunday because it will be t least two days old.
May 13th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Korcula: Adio Mare
Hvar: Konoba Menego

My visits to these places were several years ago, but they really stood out.
It's hard to go wrong with grilled fish--you should always be able to select the fish yourself.
May 13th, 2013, 09:35 PM
kja

My information was from a trip in 2009, and so may be out-of-date, but here were my comments:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rant-notes.cfm
May 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM

I ate at Konoba Menego (recommended by yorkshire) in Hvar today for lunch. Its a really neat little place run by a very friendly guy, Dinko. I had sea bass with lemon and capers and some delicious grilled veggies that came with it... and for Hvar Town, it is VERY reasonable.

And last night I had dinner at Dalmatino (I ate their last year and wanted to go back.) It is not cheap but the staff is superb and the food is excellent. For a bit of a blow out meal I would go to Dalmatino.

I've eaten several times at Vartal near the monastery (this year and last year) - it is run by a family and the food is homey yet tasty. The house wine is not so great - get a bottle, or beer.
May 16th, 2013, 07:47 AM

Strakesio (sp?) in Dubrovnik is the best place I've ever eaten. If that's on your radar I suggest a stop in.
May 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM

In Dubrovnik I liked restaurant Gusta Me- food was great and there was nice view over the city walls and harbor of Old Town from restaurant terrace

Korčula: konoba Mareta- small romantic restaurant in old town of Korčula, delicious local food

Hvar: restaurant Park Hvar- really nice terrace with beautiful view of sea and islands, food (beefsteak) was excellent
May 21st, 2013, 05:15 PM

Hvar: the Restaurant Gariful. Not cheap, but go early to get a table without having to have the crowd stampede you. We were super early, had the patio all to ourselves, great service, great food, huge prices too!

Split: Buffet Fife. Exactly at the opposite end, cheap and authentic. I actually liked their fish better and there's that cute little cat that's always ready to share but not pushy at all. Very good meat dishes as well. Very authentic. Can get very busy.

Can't remember the rest, will have to look them up in my travel notes.

Happy dining in Croatia!
May 21st, 2013, 10:10 PM

I'm in Dubrovnik and I have eaten twice at Lady Pi Pi. They are at the top by the wall so if you are staying down at the bottom of the old town it is a hike up. If you are staying outside you can walk through the Buza Gate and it is a fairly level walk. They have great grilled meats. There is always a line to get in.

Taj Mahal is good - Bosnian food with very nice service. I ate there last year and again this year.