Croatia Island Hopping in August - help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm playing with our itinerary to try to optimize our time on the islands given that it will be first week of August and hot! If you had three days/four nights to island hop, would you do it on your own or go on a gullet tour? I'm not even sure they have four night tours? I've tried looking for gullet reviews but there aren't a ton out there. What islands are "must do's?" Should we see a few or just head to Hvar? Any and all feedback is much appreciated!!

Day 1 – Depart BOS
Day 2 - Arrive Dubrovnik early afternoon. Hotel: Villa Dubrovnik or Hotel Excelsior
Day 3 - Dubrovnik
Day 4 – Depart Dubrovnik early for Mostar. Overnight in Mostar.
Day 5 - .Depart Mostar for Split. Overnight in Split
Day 6 – Depart Split for island hopping
Day 7 – Island hopping
Day 8 - Island hopping
Day 9 - Island hopping - Depart 2:30pm from Split to BOS
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 02:11 PM

You only have 7 nights. If you want to include 4 nights on islands ,you would need to skip Mostar. Split is worth at least 1 night. It is best to spend your last night in Split.

You do not need an island tour.

Then: Dubrovnik (2 nights), Korcula (2), Hvar(2), Split(1)

Day 1 – Depart BOS

Day 2 - Arrive Dubrovnik early afternoon. Hotel: Villa Dubrovnik or Hotel Excelsior

Day 3 - Dubrovnik

Day 4 – Jadrolinija Ferry Departs Dubrovnik 7:15am. Arrives Korcula 9am. Overnight in Korcula.

Day 5 -Korcula

Day 6 -Jadrolinija Ferry Departs Korcula 6:00am(or 1:00pm). Arrives Hvar at 7:45am(or 2:25pm). Overnight in Hvar.

Day 7 –Hvar

Day 8 - Jadrolinija Ferry Departs Hvar at 8:00am. Arrives Split at 9:05am. Overnight in Split.

Day 9- Depart 2:30pm from Split to BOS

http://www.jadrolinija.hr/en/sailing...cal-lines-2017
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 04:04 PM

Having done something very similar (except that my 5 locations were Dubrovnik, Split, Hvar, Brac and Trogir over 11 days), I'd say Dugi gives you good advice and quite an acceptable itinerary above.

Good luck and enjoy. Croatia is wonderful, especially that part of it.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 05:25 PM
kja

I wholeheartedly agree with dugi_otok when he says that you should be in Split the night before your flight. Because Split is my favorite city in Croatia, I'd give it at least 2 nights, but it's your call.

You certainly don't have time for all the islands in the area, and what is a "must-do" for you isn't necessarily a must-do for anyone else. As an example, I found Hvar Town much too party-hearty for my tastes; others find it an ideal vacation spot.

dugi_otok's suggestion for including both Korcula Town and Hvar Town will give you a nice contrast of these two islands.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Dugi_Otok, Mathieu and kja for your responses. I'm very thankful you took the time out of your busy day to provide assistance to a fellow traveler. Dugi - thank you for the proposed itinerary!!! This sounds fabulous and something I will definitely consider!

Cheers!
Sue
Old Jul 24th, 2018, 10:15 AM

Did you take this trip? I'm curious to know if your "island hopping" days from split were just day trips or did you do all of the three days onboard a vessel for the island hopping? If so, what was your experience and what would you do differently? We like private trips vs. overloaded tourists boats.