Croatia, A Week in late May 2011

Nov 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Croatia, A Week in late May 2011

Hello All.

I'm new to Fodors, but not to travel. I'm a 63yo man travelling alone.

I am seeking advice from the experienced people here to help plan a week late next May in Croatia. I will be travelling from Switzerland, probably by train via Milan, sometime between Wed 25th and Sat 28th, and I must depart for Russia to arrive am hours on Sat 4th June for a cruise departing St Petersburg that afternoon. So arrival is flexible but departure is not.

I've been looking at the Adriagate Dalmatian cruises. They look good but seem very cheap - does that imply a problem? I don't mind cheap, the budget is important, but I'm more a flashpacker than a backpacker. The other cruises look a bit expensive.

I am open to any ideas on getting around Croatia, places to stay, sights that must be seen and events or festivals that should not be missed at that time.

I can't seem to find a direct flight to St Petersburg yet; it looks like I may have to go via either Helsinki or Budapest. Ideas on that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Cheers, Alan
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
Nov 6th, 2010, 01:52 PM

May is a beautiful month to experience Croatia. My experience is mainly with Dubrovnik which is heaven on earth in my opinion, although you'll have to share it with throngs of tourists arriving via motorcoach and cruise ships.

There are no trains to Dubrovnik (although there is train service in other parts of the country), but we had no problem driving there and there is bus service.

One thing you learn about the Balkans fairly quickly is that it's not the easiest area of the world to get into and out of, (nor is it inexpensive) so I'm not surprised that you're struggling to find good flights. You might try Austrian or Lufthansa from either Dubrovnik or Split if you haven't already.

Ellen
Nov 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM

Went to Split, Hvar , Korcula and Dubrovnik...I am picky and frugal....I think you could actually stay with the people that approach you as you enter the town as a tourist,,,it sounds weird but its how they do business, dont recall what they are called but someone on the forum might. 4 of us did this acouple of years ago..we are 60ish and love luxury...but honestly it was fab to say the least...great acommodations and people...CHEAP!
Nov 6th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

@Ellen

Thanks for the info. It's starting to look like the best way out is from Dubrovnik to Helsinki using SAS, then the train to St Petersburg. But I'm still checking; lots of time yet.

Because of the time constraints at exit I've gone away from the islands-cruise idea and considering local buses between towns, starting at Rijeka. I think I'll be taking the train in from Ljubjlana. I'll look at local ferries to see an isloand or two.

@ Pougal

Thanks. I love the idea, but safety would worry me a little as my only local language words are liklely to be please, thanks, and where is the bathroom. Can you give more details of that system please? Things like method, cost, quality etc.

Does anyone know some pleasant, picturesque villages where the buses stop en-route from Rijeka to Dubrovnik that are not over-run by tourists in May?
Nov 6th, 2010, 10:55 PM

We took a similar cruise to Adriagate Dalmatian cruises.I don.t know what their price is but ours as was very reasonable. It was our first time in Croatia, The accomdation is small the food is ,quite good , but you can.t compare it with a regular cruise.
There were 17 passengers , ages ranged 22 to 80. and it is ideal if you are traveling alone, as you get to know your fellow cruisers.Adriagates Itinerary looks very good.and you do not have to worry about transport to those places. We have twice been back to Croatia since and would be very interested in doing Adriagates Itinerary,
Nov 25th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Like Jean 253 we're just back from a similar cruise to the one you're considering, and we had a very happy time. We were travelling with our teenage children and were among a friendly group with ages ranging from 15 to late 60s. The accommodation was basic but not too basic, the food was good, and the crew were lovely. Our itinerary took us to Split, Makarska, Sipan, Hvar, Korcula and Dubrovnik, with enough time to spend a few hours and an evening at each location. On our holiday we also did a big cruise which was fine, but we all agreed that the little boat in Croatia was more to our taste.
Nov 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM

I think you should use the local ferries instead of a cruise. Ljubljana to Rijeka by train is an easy journey and the bus service throughout Croatia is excellent. www.autobusni-kolodvor.com
Nov 25th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the follow-up. I'm still looking at all the possibilities.

Cheers, Alan
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/

Search this Thread