Reload this Page >

Crime in Barcelona

Search

Crime in Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:12 PM
jim

Crime in Barcelona

I was looking forward to a September visit to Barcelona until I read the comments about crime in the city. Is crime prevalent throughout the city or are there simply certain areas and neighborhoods to avoid. I can still cancel my plans and wonder just how bad the situation is.

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Capo

Hi Jim. Before my girlfriend & I went to Barcelona at the end of March last year, we'd *almost* considered not going due to all the mentions of petty crime we read in guidebooks, on travel forum, etc. But we really wanted to go -- especially to see Gaudi's buildings -- so we went...and had an absolutely wonderful time, with no bad experiences whatsoever. <BR> <BR>Some people don't fly because planes crash. Others don't go to certain cities because those cities have petty -- and perhaps some violent crime. Other people weigh the risks, take any necessary precautions, and do want they want to do. <BR> <BR>I hope the fear of crime doesn't scare you away from visiting this fascinating city.

Old May 8th, 2001, 10:16 PM
André

As per above post we were scared to visit Barcelona. My wife and I spent 4 days there early April and the only incident we had was a tug on our day pack whilst strolling down Las Rambla. <BR> <BR>I carried our passports and money in a money belt and had no problems in all of Spain. In fact we had much more hassle and scams in Bangkok two years ago. <BR> <BR>As plenty of other posters will warn you there does seem to be a crime problem in Spain, but personally I was lucky and didn't see it and neither did any of the many other tourists that we spoke with. <BR> <BR>Travel is inherently risky, but isn't it that adventure that interests us in the first place? People tend to report on their bad experiences and not so much on the good ones. There were thousands of tourists in Barcelona and those that do get robbed is probably only a small percentage?

Old May 9th, 2001, 05:50 AM
frank

Most posts on crime in Barcelona warn to take care but to go anyway. <BR>IMO this is the best advice. <BR>The warnings say be extra careful in tourist areas (eg las Rambla) and on the underground, also to avoid carrying money & bags if poss. <BR>Good advice. <BR>Its not so bad that you shouldn't go, just take care & don't worry.

Old May 9th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Bux

There's crime and there's crime. Purse snatching, murder and rape are all crimes. Which are you worried about and which are enough to cancel travel plans. More Americans have been killed in traffic accidents than in wars, counting casualties on both sides of the civil war. Are you afraid to drive or be in a car and why not? <BR> <BR>We were in Barcelona for five days last May. Crime appeard to be a problem. We noticed most outdoor cafes had security guards (unarmed). The waiter at one cafe felt obligated to warn one customer to mind where she left her handbag. Nevertheless, we saw no crimes commited nor did we feel particularly threatened. We do not wear money belts and generally take no more precautions than I would at home. Of course I do live in NYC. I'd return to Barcelona in a flash, if only to eat fresh gambas at Can Majo by the beach.

Old May 9th, 2001, 09:59 AM
Capo

André, Re: "People tend to report on their bad experiences and not so much on the good ones." <BR> <BR>Agreed. I think it's good to bear that in mind when reading comments about petty crime in Europe.

Old May 14th, 2001, 12:30 PM
mm

My husband and I just got back from a three week vacation in Spain and Portugal. We had a great time. However, we were almost victims in Barcelona. We were in front of the cathedral getting ready to eat some sweets/cookies I had bought. It was our first day and we were tired after flying to Barcelona from Washington DC via Madrid. I noticed a guy sit down next to me, who was dressed well and wearing sunglasses but looked "shady". I told my husband to get his backpack and hold on to it, which he just tossed on the ground near his feet. I also noticed a guy walking behind our bench. The guy beside me got up and walked away towards the cathedral and then I noticed that he was walking with they guy who walked behind us. I told my husband that I think we were being targeted. The man in the shades kept looking back at me, at least four times, and I pointed my finger towards him to let him know that I had my eye on him. We didn't have a problem after that. Just be aware of your surroundings and you won't have a problem.

Old May 14th, 2001, 02:46 PM
Alec

Returned from a short break in Barcelona three days ago. I took usual precaution in the Ramblas/Barri Gotic area and had no problems. There were a lot of rather aggressive beggars who followed you around, speaking loudly in Spanish. Also saw a few gypsy women with babies or young children, but they left you alone if you took no notice. I looked around consciously to see any scams or people eyeing up potential victims, but found nothing. I found it a vibrant and exciting place, and would go back anytime.

Old May 29th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Julie

I returned on Sunday from a trip to Spain. All of the posts about the pickpockets in Barcelona had me worried. Nothing happened to me and I'm a woman traveling alone. Just stay aware of your surroundings and use common sense.

Old May 29th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Chinga

September won't be as bad as the high season, and the weather will be better. Just consider the Ramblas the equivalent of a pick-pocket/purse-snatching gauntlet, and be watchful in the old quarter -- looking people in the eye and hanging on tight to your belongings in crowded places will help.