Reload this Page >

Crete? Looking for all recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2000, 08:41 AM
sarah

My husband and I will be in Crete at the end of September and are looking for all reasonable recommendations -- where to stay, what to do (in addition to the gorge), where to eat. <BR> <BR>We are active, not into tacky tourist-y traps, foodies (San Francisco style) and enjoy walking, biking, hiking as well as conking out on the beach with a good book. <BR> <BR>Any recommendations that you can provide would be very helpful -- going thru all my tour books is a job in itself! <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 02:09 AM
Sheila

Sarah, my experience is limited but I posted on my two wek trip from last year. If you let me know by e-mail, I'll send the notes to you

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:01 AM
Penny

Hi, Sarah-- <BR> <BR>It's been many years now--about 18--since my husband and I spent a week in Crete. I remember it so fondly that I find it hard to believe we haven't gone back. Children intervened. <BR> <BR>We stayed at a wonderful hotel in Chania called the Doma. I did a bit of research and it's still there. Here's a website: http://www.braketocrete.co.uk/noflash/doma.htm <BR> <BR>It's a bit out of the center of town but it's quiet and beautiful. <BR> <BR>Just sitting harborside in Chania is great; you can watch the promenade of people--including many sailors--from all over the world. <BR> <BR>Definitely go to Knossos, and to Phaestos, both Minoan sites. Knossos is more geared to tourists; at least when we were there, Phaestos was very rough by comparison and thus very endearing. <BR> <BR>We'd originally planned to sail to Santorini from Crete, but unusually strong winds prevented the boat from leaving. We jumped on a bus and went to Matala on a whim. It's on the east coast. Although the guidebook led us to believe we might encounter "hippies" living in the natural caves there, we didn't. We found few non-Greeks and loved it. Ate at the harbor every night--it's where I first tried, and loved, calamari. When we got back to Heraklion to fly to Athens, we found that boat to Santorini had never sailed. I'd love to get there someday, but we have great memories of Matala. (By the way, Joni Mitchell sings of the town in one of her songs--I think it's called "Cary.") <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, and I hope you love Crete. If I could pick anywhere in the world to go this minute, I'd pick Greece. <BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Penny

Sarah, <BR> <BR>I forgot to mention another thing: I suggest reading The Colossus of Maroussi by Henry Miller before you go. It gives you a real taste of Greece. <BR> <BR>I've also heard of another book called the Villa Ariadne, about the palace of Minos at Knossos, but I haven't read it.

Old Jun 29th, 2000, 12:02 PM
George

Hello out there! <BR> <BR>If you will be arriving by air at Heraklio or Chania airport,you can walk up to the Greek Tourist Organization's kiosk and ask , specifically ,for the map of the paths of Crete (monopatia tis Kritis)These pathways were built by the Greek Ressistance during WWII,for supplying and sabotage purposes and recently were mapped out. <BR>They can take you up the mountains,down gorges,through obscure mountain villages,down to small beaches,up again,etc.There are hundreds of them all over the island.You can meet Crete up close and personal. <BR>These are for trekking/walking only and require good physical condition and a sense of adventure. <BR>To be honest,I never took any of these paths,so I can not give you any first hand details <BR>Have fun.

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Denise

Sarah, <BR> I lived in Crete for two years. I would recommend flying into Hania airport and renting a car. Iraklion is more "big city". The Monte Vardia hotel or the Royal Sun are just 10mins from the airport and 5 minutes from downtown Hania. Unless you're a great driver I would recommend a cab (cheap) to the city center and back. For longer trips like Knossos, Rethmyno, or other sites then use the car. From Rethmyno you can take ferries to other islands. Rethmyno is about 40mins from Hania. <BR> The Monte Vardia is owned by a very nice family and has air conditioning and a beautiful pool. Have fun!