Credit cards adding fees?

Jul 29th, 1999, 10:54 AM
John

Credit cards adding fees?

Recently we have heard that some credit cards have announced that they are adding additional fees to international purchases. How can we determine which cards are doing this (other than calling their information numbers individually)?

Jul 29th, 1999, 10:58 AM
Beth

Well, my credit card added the fee recently. At the time they sent me a new "service definition" pamphlet. Thats the small brochure with the very fine print that you get with a new/changed credit card. And I found the new fee in a section that had been marked with change bars. But this happened as an effect of changing the underwriting company. Beyond that, you may have to call.

Jul 29th, 1999, 11:55 AM
cheryl

I think Beth is right and you will probably have to call. However, I even if you can find a card with no extra international fees, I would not count on it remaining that way long. Both of my cards have added the fee in the last few months, and I think the conventional wisdom is that once this many cards add the fee, they all will. By the way, even with the fees (mine was 3%), the exchange rate was still better than any other I found, so I wouldn't let this stop you from using your credit card internationally.

Aug 1st, 1999, 05:49 PM
Linda

According to my bank Citibank tacks on a 2.5% surcharge on international transactions. Visa *check cards* do not have a surcharge, do if you have the $$$ in your account it's best to use the check card as long as it has the Visa logo in plain sight.

Aug 1st, 1999, 11:01 PM
Donna

Your best bet is to call the providers of your cards. Make sure (no easy trick) you are getting a straight answer from whoever answers the phone. Ask for it in writing. Be sure to let them know (not that they're interested) in writing that you plan to use an alternate card without excessive "foreign transaction fees".

Aug 2nd, 1999, 03:58 AM
Mary Ann

US Bank, which is also a northwest world perks Visa is currently not charging a fee. At this time there are no plans to charge per the customer service representative I spoke with.