Search

Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 04:32 AM
Tama

Credit Cards

Traveling to Italy. Do restaurants, tickets for train travel, museum entrances except the American Express card? Also, do you recommend travelers cheques?

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 08:02 AM
Rich

Most of these places will accept AMEX but be prepared for those that do not. Carry some cash. AMEX does not charge a commission if you exchange travelers checks at one of their offices. You could check their web site for locations. It is the museums that usually do not accept credit cards for entrance. AMEX is not as accepted in Europe as VISA or MASTERCARD although it gets better each year. Most hotels do accept AMEX. You will get a better exchange rate with the cards if you use them when you can.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 12:08 PM
Richard

Good advice from Rich. I would definitely have a Visa or MC in addition to AMEX, they are much more readily accepted. When you pay with cash, be aware of the "slow" or "long" count, it happens everywhere, Metro, museums, post office, you name it. I'd like to see a list of scams from other victims, not only in Italy, but all European countries. Travel is safe but be aware, not paranoid.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 02:38 PM
Mark Alimansky

When paying in cash, Richard says be aware of the 'slow' or 'long' count. What is that?

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 02:47 PM
kam

Go to Italy at least once a year. My husband takes his AMEX and I take my VISA (in case either is lost or stolen) and we take U.S. dollars--in $20s which we carry some and leave some in the hotel safe. Also take our Cirrus ATM and we've never had a bit of trouble---much better exchange rate with the cards! Almost everyone takes VISA, but true, the museums etc take cash---it's so little that it's not a problem. We also make it a habit to tip our waiters if service is NOT included (usually it is) in lire rather than on the cards.....they appreciate it. Ciao!

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 04:23 AM
Monica

Recently returned from Italy and never used our travelers checks (took $2000). It was very easy to use our Visa or Master cards. Our Visa is a Debit card, which we used to get lira from the Bancomats. And we used the Master card for our big purchases, hotels, and restaurants. Next year (France) we will take only $500 in travelers checks for emergency use. Also, we had no problems in Italy with the "slow" count. All restaurants and stores in Italy are required to give you a receipt. When you give them your lira, make sure you show the waiter you know how much lira you are giving him and not just toss him the money. That's when he'll come back and say "you didn't give me enough."

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 01:44 PM
Yvonne

Mark, <BR>Rick Steves (www.ricksteves.com/tips/298scam.htm) describes the "slow" count. Your change is counted back with irregular pauses, in the hopes that a hurried tourist will grab his change and run, before receiving all of his change.

Old Jun 8th, 1998, 05:54 PM
clay

Be sure your bank does not charge for ATM usage at other bank systems. My bank was taken over by another bank and instead of previously being free, I was charged the equivalent of 5% for withdrawals at Gatwick Airport, on the Champs Elysee, and in Athens . Also, if you plan to make withdrawals with your credit card, there may be no transaction fee, but there may instead be a finance charge from the day of withdrawal irrespective of whether you pay your bills on time.

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 02:16 PM
Von

Will be traveling to London,Istanbul, Italy, Greece, <BR>Monte Carlo, Spain on a Grand Princess cruise. (The London trip is prior to meeting the ship in Turkey). <BR>Have no experience at multiple currencies! Is it best in London to exchange at the airport, hotel, bank, exchange centers or ATM. How is the ATM done - does any bank card work? (Forgive my naivety!) ALSO <BR>on board the ship (istanbul through Barcelona) is the best way to exchange on board?? (The majority of our spending will be in London). How much in travelers checks are recommended for a 16 day trip??

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 02:26 PM
Richard

Thanks Yvonne, that's exactly what it is (the slow count). And it is a practiced art everywhere in Italy. Take the time to read the price, know what you're handing over, and count the change at the window. Italy is our favorite country, by the way. <BR>

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 05:02 PM
clay

Von! You lucky person!! You ask important questions that even well versed travelers ask! Travelers Checks - I would bring several hundred dollars worth just in case something happens to your ATM card and credit card. Although I do NOT work for Citibank, I like their TC's because I can get them at no additional fee, and you can cash them at citibank branches in London, Paris, Madrid and Athens. <BR>ATM CARD - I think this is a good card to carry as you get good rates, but be sure your bank does not pass on foreign transaction charges to you. Again, I like Citibank since they have branches all over the place, BUT I unfortunately found my non-citibank ATM card did NOT work at their locations. Make sure your ATM card work with many different systems (PLUS, CIRRUS, etc). Your PIN should only be 4 digits (not numbers). <BR>LONDON - with so many ATM machines, you get a better rate than changing at hotels. I would suggest however that you change manybe $20 or so at Heathrow to get into town if you use the Underground, more if you take a taxi. Be aware that some smaller hotels charge extra for your using a credit card. <BR>TURKEY - they accept US dollars (app. 250,000 turkish lira to $1 US); I don't think turkish lira are of any real value. Many places do not accept Greek drachma. If you use US dollars, it is a plus, but bargain hard! <BR>GREECE - be careful that you get the latest drachma bills. Some were retired but are still in circulation. Many places accept US $, but, I would bargain hard. Eurobank, and Bank of Greece, which have branches all over Athens does not seem to accept other bank ATM cards, so you may have to search around <BR>ITALY - again, many ATM machines, tourist places will accept US $. <BR>SPAIN - if you go to Costa del Sol, US $ readily accepted. Madrid has banks all over the place, but some ATM's only accept credit cards. When in Madrid earlier this year, I used Barclays. <BR>SHIPBOARD - I used my credit card to open a tab, but I don't think you really get a good rate on ships. <BR>Most travelers would say don't change US $ into one currency and then another and another. Change US $ only as needed, bring your ATM card and a credit card. Always note your card #'s someplace safe and an emergency number to call if you lose your card. Sounds like a massive trip - don't get too tired!

Old Jun 9th, 1998, 08:19 PM
Donna

We always take traveler's checks in the foreign denomination as a backup. Just because we like to be prepared for any contingency. If you end up not needing them, just use them toward your hotel bill (to avoid having to change them back). <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 06:27 AM
Patricia

Last summer we stayed in a moderately sized spa town in Tuscany. Some of the stores and restaurants did not take charge cards at all. We found this out after my darling husband bought me a pair of Armani jeans and two sweaters--our last meal in the town was gelato because we were down to our last $100 bucks!

Old Jun 10th, 1998, 07:29 AM
Richard

Re your train travel in Italy, you might want to check out an Italian Railpass or Flexipass, you won't have to worry about carrying cash for the train tickets or wait on line to purchase them. Some trains do require a reservation, which except for the Pendolino is no extra charge. <BR>Traveler's checks are always a good idea, but they are not always available in the coin of the realm. We tend to travel on the cheap, pensiones and 2 star hotels and many pensiones are cash only as are many restaurants. Many times at the end of a trip our only criteria for a restaurant was"do they take plastic". Use plastic as much as you can, you'll not get a better exchange rate. <BR>