Credit card withdrawal/ATM

Apr 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Credit card withdrawal/ATM

What is the best way to withdraw money while in Italy? Should I deposit money into my credit card and withdraw from credit card/pay with credit card...OR...am I able to withdraw $$ from ATM machines from debit card? Does Italy even have debit??
what is the safer bet?

Thank you!!!
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Absolutely the best is to use your credit card to get money. ATM are very popular in Italy and you can get one very often. Note that the company give a better exchange rate using c.c.
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:55 AM

This is a constantly discussed topic here. Enter "ATM" or "money" in the search box above and sit down with a mug of coffee---the results are a good (helpful) read.

For instance, here is a very recent thread about money matters in Italy:
http://tinyurl.com/2gppx8

No, you will definitely not want to use your credit card to take money out of an ATM. It's expensive because the interest on that money starts to grow immediatly.

You should be able to use your ATM card just fine---check with your bank and also enter your bank's name in the search above for more tailored advice. Using a credit card to withdraw money would be a worst/last case scenario.

Havea great trip!
Apr 25th, 2007, 06:59 AM

No, you DO NOT want to use a credit card to get cash. Use your atm/debit card. Use a credit card to buy/pay for things - sure - but to get cash absolutely use your debit card . . . .
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM

Never use your Credit Card - Interest racks up immediately. Use your normal debit card - just make sure that it is linked to the Cirrus network. Check with your bank.
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:01 AM

I was posting at the same time as Katie_H. . . .

Apr 25th, 2007, 08:30 AM

You may need to talk with the security department with your bank and tell them where you will be and the dates.
Some banks will not allow you to use your debit card overseas without doing this.
Use your credit card where you can (meals, rooms,etc.), but not for cash advances.