Alternatives to Norway in Nutshell?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were tentatively planning 3 nights in Copenhagen, 1 night on the Copenhagen-Oslo ferry, 2 nights in Oslo, 2 nights in Bergen, (flight to Stockholm from Bergen) 5 nights in Stockholm, 2 nights in Visby, and a final night at a hotel near the Stockholm Airport prior to flying home to the US. Having read through the reviews on Tripadvisor for the famed Norway in a Nutshell "tour," it sounds like equal parts beauty and hassle. Too many comments complain of overcrowding and overbooking, pushing by one's fellow passengers, lack of facilities/food and no actual personnel on hand to sort out difficulties caused by not having places for all the passengers on the various modes of transport since this is a series of tickets for public transport not an actual tour. This leads me to consider what alternatives there might be to NIN and whether we can adjust the itinerary to allow for a more relaxed way to see the coastal Norway scenery. Budget is a consideration since Scandinavia is so very expensive, but I'm interested to hear what other options there are out of Bergen? I would appreciate any suggestions based on recent experiences.
Old Aug 17th, 2013, 11:35 PM

The train from Oslo to the Flam train is with reserved seats only. I can't imagine not enough room on the big ferry, and while we were not really told what to do at the end of the ferry ride, there are special buses to take the NIN passengers to the train station; other ferry riders use a different bus. There is food available in Flam. Nothing great. Buy some sandwiches in Oslo for your lunch if you prefer. NIN is nothing more than a package of tickets that can be purchased independently, so aside from the buses there are no special forms of transportation or guides to help passengers.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

I was planning to do a round trip (in one day) from Bergen as it looked a little shorter, but many people on TA complained of being pushed, being left behind (no room on the first ferry, having to wait for the next but not knowing how long that would be), not getting seats on the Flam train, ferries not having enough sheltered space during inclement weather, expensive and sparse food, etc. These were recent travelers in July and August of this year. I would be there in June and would plan on leaving luggage in hotel since we would return the same day, but it sounded very stressful and unpleasant. Not my vacation ideal. Yet at the same time, i've heard the scenery is unparalleled. Hence my interest in whether there is another way to experience it?
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 06:39 AM

If limited in time, the NIN is the most efficient way of experiencing the fjord area. It is via public transportation, so whether the tickets are purchased as the NIN package or individually, the crowds will be the same.
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 07:48 AM

We did the 'NIN' experience last June and loved every minute of it. We trained from Oslo to Voss, rented a car, drove back into the fjords, spent five days in the fjords area, took the ferry to Gudvangen, returned the car to Voss and then trained to Bergen for a couple days.

It is a shorter train ride from Bergen to the fjords for a day trip. Everyone here is right. It is NOT a tour. It is just tickets you purchase individually depending on what you want to see/do/time available. It is not difficult. We were never turned away on any ferry during our time in the fjords. I can't imagine that ever happening.

Don't let a few negative comments deter you from seeing this beautiful country. It is unrivaled IMO. Yes, it is expensive. Grab your lunch/snacks from a grocery before you head out for the day so you are not forced to buy food on the train or boat. Make a long day of it. You will not regret it.