Course Camarguaise (bull races) in Provence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2024, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We am visiting Provence in mid May and interested in attending a Course Camarguaise bull race. Does anyone have experience with these?

www. traditionalsports. org/traditional-sports/europe/la-course-camarguaise-france.html shows map of towns with large, medium, and small arenas. Is there significant difference in the experience? I'm sure the large arenas have bigger shows, but the medium or small ones may be a more intimate experience for a first timer. We're staying in Saint Remy, which has a mid-size arena that would be convenient, but most arenas are within a reasonable drive.

ffcc.info shows schedules with towns, but no times are shown there. Is there a general time that most events begin? Is there a better site for finding this information? Or is that published closer to event date? The Saint Remy race shown is on the day we're arriving by TGV from Paris.

Thanks for any info!

Old Jan 20th, 2024, 07:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would recommend attending a French bull fight, unlike Spanish ones the bull is allowed to win and normally lives
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

We may be discussing the same thing? From the internet (didnt grab source)

"The Course Camarguaise does not end with the death of the bull. This type of bullfighting is from the Camargue region of France (southwest of Provence) and involves men, called raseteurs, trying to pull ribbons off the bull’s horns. Unlike Spanish bullfights, the men are rarely injured and the bull is never killed."
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 08:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yep
Old Jan 20th, 2024, 12:24 PM

We enjoyed seeing La Course Camarguaise in Arles a few years ago. I am sorry not to know how to learn more information but we were able to just go to the arena and buy tickets on the spot. Are you staying in a hotel? They may be able to at least advise you about the St. Remy event.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 03:29 PM

I can check while I am there in a few weeks but any questions I usually have I write to the Tourist bureau and have had good luck getting a response to my questions.
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan47ete
I can check while I am there in a few weeks but any questions I usually have I write to the Tourist bureau and have had good luck getting a response to my questions.
Thanks!