County Meath, Newgrange, etc.

Nov 25th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

County Meath, Newgrange, etc.

How much time is needed to see the sights in this area? Any suggestions which town would be best centally located to tour this area? Any specific accomodatiom recommendation?
Nov 25th, 2006, 12:29 PM

What time of year will you be there and what specific sites do you want to see in the area?
Nov 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM

You may find the website www.knowth.com to be of interest.Also useful is to google the word Newgrange. It is very important to go early in the day as not everybody can get into the 62 foot long passage ending in the 20 foot high room at the centre of Newgrange itself.It was built about 5,000 years ago and they obviously never realised at the time how popular it would become in our time.Knowth is worth visiting too-you go from the same central building,a visitors centre,in a minibus to both.Allow 2-4 hours in total.There is a coffee shop there too.
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

IrishEyes...we will be there July/2007 and will have a rental car. In addition to Newgrange we are interested in Knowth, Trim Castle & Hill of Tara.
Nov 26th, 2006, 04:00 PM

a couple of years ago we started off our trip arriving in dublin and heading straight off to Newgrange and Knowth...we got there before noon and were able to see both...what takes time is waiting on a bus to take you to each sight, they give you a start time so depending on how busy they are would make a difference...we lucked out and were able to start shortly after arriving...they had a nice little cafeteria and a information center to brouse while waiting

just a note...if you are visiting a lot of heritage sights...we got our heritage cards, good savings

we spent 3-4 hours here so we weren't able to see some of the other sights in the area such as Melifont Abbey and Monasterboice...we stayed in Trim but just missed out on touring the castle, but were able to walk around the grounds.

We stayed at Brogans B&B which had a nice pub but our room was very small and a bit worn...very nice hostess

We enjoyed our dinner at Franzini O'Briens which was next to the castle

we got up early the next day and took a very back road to the Hill of Tara and enjoyed walking around before the official open time...sharing it with only the sheep.

depending on where you are coming from and going to from this area...I would think that atleast 2 nights would be good to enjoy all of the sights in this area (this is one area that we wished we had spent more time)...if we stayed again, might look at a coastal town...some people here have suggested drogheda, but I have no personal experience...worth checking out.
Nov 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM

eesses,

July is high tourist season. Hopefully you will be at Newgrange on a weekday. Try to arrive as early as possible to beat the tour buses. As the others said probably 2-4 hours for Bru na Boinne, Newgrange and Knowth. If you can only fit in one more attraction on that day you could always save one for the next morning.

Try Highfield House in Trim or Boyne Haven in Drogheda for accommodations.
Nov 30th, 2006, 06:38 AM

I stayed at Rossnaree in Slane and just loved it. Check out www.hiddenireland.com for details. It is only a few minutes drive from Bru na Boinne; I got to the visitor center before they even opened for the day and had no wait (though it was Sept). I spent about 3 hours there and visited Newgrange and Knowth. Afterwards I went to the Battle of the Boyne site nearby for an hour or so. After that I went to the Hill of Tara; so you can see quite a bit in a day.