Couchette Reservation

Search

Couchette Reservation

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Couchette Reservation

We need to make a couchette reservation for the Artesia night train from Paris Bercy to Rome. I am having trouble booking it for May 30. Is this because it is full? If so, is it available for May 29 or 31? We need 2 seats and are traveling with a Selectpass. The cost should be 25 euros. Also, what website do you recommend using?

If needed, we will try to take the day TGV train from Paris to Italy but still need to pay the 10 euros supplement. We're trying to get as much planned before we leave next week as we can.

Any advice you can give is appreciated!
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM

What site are you using to make your reservations? There are a limited number of spots available on each train for pass holders. I believe the fare for a pass holder for the Artesia Night train is actually higher, around 50 euros.

At any rate, I just input your itinerary into raileurope.com and got a variety of options for the May 30 Artesia night that leaves Paris at 7:37 PM. You'll need to connect through Milan, but there should be tickets available.

The 6:54 PM direct train from Paris to Rome is not available. This should mean that all seats for pass holders are sold out. I could not find any available reservations for 5/29 at all.

Hope that helps
Old May 17th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! We are hoping to travel from France to Italy quickly but are still confused. We may have to wait till we arrive in Zurich and have them explain our choices. There seems to be different prices on different websites. (Somewhere I read it was 25 euros supplement for the couchette and 10 euros for a TGV reservation.)

We're getting more familiar with the booking system though and appreciate you checking into this for us!
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Here's a list of fares for the Artesia trains.
http://www.artesia.eu/english/fare-train-travel.php

I don't think you have any option to book France to Italy on the French railsite. If you were traveling in the opposite direction(Italy to France), Trenitalia does let you book pass reservations online(have to retrieve at a station in Italy though)by selecting global pass in the fare drop down box.

If you want to book in advance, I think your only option for this is RailEurope. Otherwise, you will have to wait until you are in Europe and hope spots are still available. If you are staying in a hotel, they might agree to make your reservation and charge to your room. They would need your pass number, etc.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for clearing this up for us! I guess part of the fun of traveling is unexpected adventure. If the trains are booked at the lower fares, something else will open up. Hopefully it won't take too long but at least we can enjoy the beautiful countryside.

As always, your help is sincerely appreciated!