Reload this Page >

cottages/houses for rent in England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:39 AM
julie

I am looking for houses or cottages for rent in England for 4 adults and 3 children in or near the Cotswalds. I've seen the National Trust places adn rentvillas.com. Does any one know of any other reputable places to look? We're going to us it as a base and take day trips.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Julie

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 06:30 AM
sylvia

There are some suggestions at<BR>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/SMilne6/tour.htm#Accommodation<BR><BR>We personally use English Country Cottages<BR>http://www.english-country-cottages.co.uk/<BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:42 AM
steve

Check Visitbritain.com <BR><BR>It is very awkward, but if you fool around enough, you can get to their listing of self-catering cottages. <BR><BR>I was able to use the RAF base at Fairford on the edge of the Cotswolds as a base for day trips. It worked out very well.

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 07:59 AM
xxx

We stayed at Sudeley Castle Cottages.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 07:20 PM
julie

Thanks everyone.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Hbelle

Hi, I would recomment easycottages.com which we have used before. It is unusual in that the website allows you to search by date for availability and the data is absolutely up-to-date. We booked cottages in the Cotswolds and Cornwall through them and it worked out very well. For the date range you choose they display the exact price as well, instead of the confusing price range that some websites display.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:06 AM
ginny

Hi Julie....<BR>Try http://www.premiercottages.co.uk/. These are rented through the owners of the properties, so there is no rental agents fee...have used them a couple of times and always recommend them. Stayed in Shropshire and North Wales using Premier!!!!<BR>Also, can recommend Stanton Court Cottages in the tiny medieval village of Stanton in the Cotswolds...excellent base for exploring much of the area...my family has been staying here since 97, the last time this past June!!!! Their site is http://www.stantoncourt.co.uk/. Sheila is the property manager and wonderful to deal with.<BR>Good luck!!!!!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Lisa

We stayed in the Sudeley Castle Cottages in early June and absolutely loved it. Winchcombe is a great village (or do you call it town). This is definitely a place we want to return to.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Ann

Julie, I give highest possible marks to the Landmark Trust properties. Not only do you get to &quot;live&quot; in an historically or architecturally significant house (from thatched roof to castle, for 2-20 people), your stay contributes to the maintenance, purchase and restoration of other properties. There are several in the Cotswolds vicinity, but of particular note is the the East Banqueting House in Chipping Camden. It sleeps up to 6; all the Landmark Trust properties are beautifully restored and furnished, with wonderful kitchens. The only photos I've found outside the Trust's catalog (which you will need and is worth having just to dream over) is at www.philaathenaeum.org/hmuseum/pearce.htm Hope that works, just to give you an outdoor shot. The Trust's website is www.landmarktrust.co.uk Best wishes..

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Landmark

Landmark Trust properties are wonderful, but they are among the most expensive self-catering rentals you could find. Some are truly remarkable and all are one of a kind but you do pay a high premium for them. Often twice the cost of similar sized cottages nearby.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 05:48 AM
xxx

So how expensive are we talking for Landmark properties?

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:44 AM
janis

Landmark amd Nat'l Trust places do cost more. But to some it is worth it because they are unique properties.<BR><BR>A large 3 bedroom 1 or 2 bath seaview cottage in Cornwall can easily be found in the &pound;300-&pound;450 per week range, but Landmark or Nat'l Trust cottages would be &pound;450 to &pound;650 per week.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:07 AM
more LandmarkTr

The Landmark trust charges $25 plus postage just for their catalog. They offer wonderful accomodations, even a couple of apartments in Hampton Court Palace, but they book up far ahead and do cost a LOT.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Ann

I agree that Landmark Trust properties do cost more than the average rental, average being the key word, to me. I don't personally think the prices are unreasonable, but consider the experience priceless. We rented a huge house dating from the 1500s at Stirling, Scotland for just over 1400 pounds in the autumn, which may sound a lot. However, it slept 16, had working fireplaces, an extensive library and games, art and furnishings belonging to the last Stirling family resident, a<BR>&quot;commercial&quot;-type kitchen w/two diswashers and three ovens, gardens with roses still blooming, and enough history to choke a horse, not to mention the views and location in spectacular grounds. The house I mentioned in Chipping Camden can be had for under 800 GBP in the early summer for 6 persons. Just don't want people to get an unfavorable impression of the Trust based on perception that it's outrageously expensive...

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:47 PM
John

http://www.cottages4you.co.uk

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:32 AM
andrea

Have a look at Bruern Stable Cottages.<BR>They are located in the heart of the Cotswolds near Burford and Stow on the Wold. The cottages themselves are superb,beautifully furnished in traditional style but with every modern convenience. There is also a chef on hand to prepare food if required.<BR><BR>The gardens are large with a swimming pool and tennis court as well as swings, a slide, 2 storey Wendy House,and play room equiped with dressing up clothes toys and games for children.<BR><BR>We have stayed in 3 of the 10 cottages and can highly recommend them. The website can be accessed at www.bruernstablecottages.co.uk.<BR><BR>