Reload this Page >

Cotswolds Overrated?

Search

Cotswolds Overrated?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 07:27 PM
Judy

Cotswolds Overrated?

Everyone has been very kind suggesting less expensive hotels for our tentatively scheduled trip to the Cotswolds in May. Although we have been there before, it initially seemed to be a nice place to revisit. <BR>However, lots of people including some at the British Tourist Authority think it's too commercial <BR>and has lost alot of its charm. What about the Suffolk area of England? We've got about 3 or 4 day left after we leave London.. <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 07:31 PM
Keith

If you have the time to get up to Edinburgh, its worth the trip. Beautiful city with great people, culture and history.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 11:23 AM
Mike Miller

One of our favorite counties to visit in England is the Wiltshire area in the southwest. Within close distance are two wonderful cities - Bath and Salisbury, beatiful country villages and a beautiful countryside. If you want to visit a picturesqe village there, try Laycock - you will not be disappointed.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 01:12 PM
dorothy

<BR>What ever you do don't go to the Cotswolds on a long week end. We had heard it is over tourists since it is a day trip from London. Then we accidentally made the mistake of being there on a bank holiday week end in August! <BR>Cars, people and tour buses absolutely spoiled an area I had dreamed of seeing. Even the tiny towns like Upper and Lower Slaughter were wall to wall people and cars. <BR> <BR>Bath is very nice as well as both Salisbury and Winchester -all about the same distance from London as the Cotswolds.

Old Mar 14th, 1999, 01:48 PM
Karen

I think traveling in May will be very quiet. Their schools are still in session and the tourist season is not in full steam yet. Although we have been there several times, we have only been in June and it was not at all busy anywhere, even Warwick and other large manor homes. Driving around should not be a problem and finding little B&Bs, with vacancy, should be easy. I would definitely go and visit as many of the little areas as possible, traveling the B roads is wonderful.