Cotswolds off the Beaten Path

Jul 9th, 1997, 04:11 PM
Mike Miller

Cotswolds off the Beaten Path

I'm interested in hearing from those of you who have found that hidden village in the Cotswolds that is not listed in the guide books. Planning an Oct trip there and also would appreciate any B&B recommendations any of you may have for that area.

Jul 10th, 1997, 06:35 AM
Lanny Morry

I hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt there are any hidden treasures in the Cotswolds that haven't been discovered by the guide books. There may be a few villages that more or less still belong to the people who reside there -- many of them country squires -- but still hidden treasures, no way! Actually I thought I found such a place a couple of years ago, when a friend and her daughter and husband (who are a bit monied) invited me to join them for dinner at a nice little pub in a Cotswold town I actually hadn't visited before. We took a left turn out of Moreton-in-Marsh heading, I thought for Chipping Campden (my favorite Cotswold town, other than perhaps Broadway or Bourton on the Water), and then unexpectedly turned right a couple of miles down the road, travelling in over a few hills to a lovely small village nestled in a valley the name of which I confess I have utterly forgotten. Ye gods, I thought, we have found the most perfect Cotswold village of all! Well, yes and no. The village streets were lined with $100,000 cars -- Jaguars, Bentleys, Lamborghinis, Porsches etc. all owned by the local gentry. The "pub", attached to a small hotel, turned out to be something considerably more than my naive assumption of what a pub is all about, and I am a veteran traveller in England not used to being stunned. To start with, you have to wrap your mind around the fact that the house wine was Dom Perignon, with several bottles opened and in large ice buckets on the counter of the bar, available at the equivalent of $15 per Waterford fluted champagne glass, half full. As for dinner, what can I say? When was the last time you had a pub dinner at a place where they had separate chefs for each of the dishes, and they came out to describe each of the specialities they were cooking that night, right down to a fish chef who was a graduate of the Cordon Bleu in Paris. I can tell you I was impressed with this Cotswold find, but not enough to go back on my own anytime soon, as quite simply, I could not afford it! If you find a village that is simpler, humbler, less gentrified and less spoiled by the tourist dollar do let me know and it can be out little secret, OK?? Lanny

Jul 10th, 1997, 08:55 AM
Joe

I agree with Lanny that there are no undiscovered villages in the Cotswolds, but the countryside is beautiful and uncrowded. My wife and I spent a week in Oct. 1994 at the HF Holidays house in Bourton-on-the-Water. HF is an English ramblers association that offers accomadation and 3-7 day walking tours. We spent the week walking with English ramblers and seldom encountered anyone outside the towns. The weather was great and the countryside is among the most beautiful I've seen; all-in-all we had a glorious time. HF now has a Web site (http://travelhub.com/walking/). The standard at HF is comfortable rather than luxurious, but it's a very good bargain. We've now taken HF trips to Cornwall and the Dordogne as well as the Cotswolds, and we've found the people friendly and enjoyable on all three trips.

Jul 10th, 1997, 06:53 PM
Milton Lewin

Just drive around A LOT! We saw some nice small enclaves (Stanton, Lower Slaughter) but walking the footpaths and driving aimlessly is the key to serendipitously enjoying that region. We stayed in Upper Slaughter at Lords of the Manor -- Fabulous food and lodging, but NOT cheap! The perfume exhibit in Bourton on the Water was actually fun.

Jul 27th, 1997, 02:46 AM
Mike Kenny

Hi :
I live in Cheltenham , England . If you can be a little more specific about what you require on your holiday I will try to help you .

Jul 28th, 1997, 10:38 AM
r bakhaus

Just drive, and as one suggestion was made, follow your fancy. I just returned from England and was only in the Oxfordshire region...Burford is lovely, not the picture postcard Chipping Camden and Moreton, etc. We had lunch at The Lamb Inn on Sheep Lane (at the end of the lane...there are two pubs). The place is quite elegant with a lovely garden in the back..accommodations as well. Even though there may not be much "undiscovered", what you have not seen is undiscovered to you and there is much enjoyment to be had. We were there in July on a Monday....few people. The weekends were packed everywhere....find teh church of the Mitford's graves at Swinbrook (?)...yes, do walk the footpaths and take lots of film! Enjoy.

Jul 28th, 1997, 10:46 AM
r bakhaus

You probably know the Lamb Inn in Burford (Oxfordshire)..if not, worth a trip down Sheep Lane off the main street (don't know the name of the main street!). Was there last week and the Lamb was suggested by a friend who lives nearby. Not typical pub either, but not Cordon Bleu. Burford, as you probably know, is different from the Cotswold villages I remember from travels past as there is lots of stone, no thatching, etc. Enjoyed the footpaths...traffic is horrible with great trucks chugging down the middle of town. The Lamb is far enough down the lane to forget all the noise.

Jul 28th, 1997, 06:53 PM
Karen

Try the Lamb Inn in Great Rissington...a beautifully furnished b&b in a neighborhood setting, also has beautiful grounds. It has a nice neighborhood pub and restaurant. The Bell in Charlbury, outside Oxford ,is a gorgeous small hotel and fabulous restaurant. Both are terrific locations that will allow you to get everywhere easily.

Aug 2nd, 1997, 01:46 PM
jay s

Want to take two one-day walks in Costwolds in a few weeks. Have visited most of the towns previously but have never walked there. Are there any "not to be missed" walks? The thought is to have a home base and walk from there and back each day. Or...walk one way and use public transportation (bus, etc) to get back to home base. Not necessarily looking for long walks but the most scenic and interesting.

Aug 3rd, 1997, 06:13 AM
Mike Miller

In reply to the last post, I've been doing some research myself on walks and found a wonderful book thru Wordsworth online bookstore. It is called 25 Walks for the Cotswolds by Ted Fryer. Costs about $15.25. If you're interested in doing walks on your own, this would be a good book to start you off. I also plan to buy an Ordnance Survey walking map of the area when I arrive in the UK. Thanks to all of you above for the very informative information.

Sep 8th, 1997, 07:13 PM
jay

Thanks, Mike for your reply and book suggestion. Unfortunately, we didn't get to start the walking part of our trip in the Cotswolds as we were called back to the States on an emergency while still in Ireland and prior to the England portion of the trip. I've made note of the book and will certainly look for it.