Search

Cotswolds Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 1999, 08:10 AM
Judy

Cotswolds Hotel

<BR>Can anyone recommend a centrallyl located comforable hotel in the Cotswolds that doesn't cost 200 pounds a night?

Old Feb 26th, 1999, 10:20 PM
Jules

Hi Judy, <BR> <BR>When staying in the Cotswalds in 1994 we had lunch at a lovely hotel in beautiful Lower Slaughter, The Washbourne Court Hotel. I vividly remember it, because the meal was outstanding - creative and gourmet, utilising local in season ingredients. The hotel dates back to the 17th Century in 4 acres of grounds alongside the River Eye. It has some rooms in the original main building and also new rooms, plus cottages. In 1994 a superior double was 115 pound per night. How do I remember all this? I took a brochure, because one day I'm going back to stay! If you're interested, phone no. is (0451) 822143 or fax (0451)821045. Have a wonderful holiday.

Old Feb 27th, 1999, 03:14 PM
Karen

We can heartily recommend two very small hotels...one, The Bell in Charlbury, Oxfordshire. Such an easy little town to use as a base for getting around the Cotswolds ...and, the restaurant is superb. Rooms all chintz and well decorated and very clean. We first went there in 1978 and have loved it. Second, The Lamb Inn in a little residential area called Great Rissington. It is also just beautifully decorated, pretty garden, quiet, with good restaurant and pub. We have been there three times and The Bell twice. Not sure of prices at either, but if interested, I can get their address and phone number.

Old Mar 3rd, 1999, 02:20 AM
Tracy

Hi Judy -- <BR> <BR>The King's Head, Bledington. You need a car, but it's in the heart of the Cotswolds (& *not* in one of the villages sacrificed on the altar of tourism). <BR> <BR>The food is Modern British & good value; after touring during the day, we took all our meals there, too. If you want to get to sleep before 11.15pm, ask for a room in their new wing, behind the pub. I like their beamed rooms above the dining room, though -- who needs to sleep when you're on vacation . . . ? <BR> <BR>xo <BR>T

Old Mar 7th, 1999, 07:43 PM
kimerley

<BR>I stayed at the Bibury Court Hotel in Sept 98. Situated at Bibury, absolutely beautiful area, and very posh hotel but reasonable. It is often written up in Fodors and Lonely planets.

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 11:59 AM
Selwyn

Went twice last year. Stayed 4 days in Lower Slaughter at Lords of the Manor. One of the finest hotels we have experienced. Wonderful restaurant. 150 pounds per night. Maybe negotiable? Have seen reduced rates on some web sites. <BR>Stayed in Stow-on-the-Wold at The Unicorn. Very well run modest hotel for 100 pounds per night. Near the center of town. I can recommend both.

Old Mar 13th, 1999, 03:58 PM
Julie

Judy, <BR>The Lamb Inn was wonderful! The food some of the best we had.The owner very interesting and Carl the bartender a <BR>perfect Gentleman. Great Rissington is a nice quiet village. We recommend it highly.